The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

The white is probably Dominant White, but could possibly be caused by splash (homozygous for the blue gene). Either way, the white areas are what would otherwise be black.

Of course she's got gold, not silver.

I don't know what genes are causing that particular pattern or sort-of pattern. Part of it makes me think of lacing, so maybe she's got the pattern gene and maybe some of the other genes often involved in lacing? Or maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there.

I don't know what she's got at the e-locus (clearly not Extended Black, but beyond that I'm not sure.)
If I wanted to test her for dominant white, what is the best color rooster to use? I have a lavender Ameraucana...so would the black be a good test? A solid black bird seems like it would be the best choice? That way I can test the dominant white and the pattern? Or would the patterning be recessive.

She does have a very very light amount of blue in her feathering, so splash could also make sense. Would a BLRW coloring result in this pattern-ish if mixed with something else that is blue?

If I wanted to test her for dominant white, what is the best color rooster to use? I have a lavender Ameraucana...so would the black be a good test? A solid black bird seems like it would be the best choice? That way I can test the dominant white and the pattern? Or would the patterning be recessive.
A solid black rooster could work for testing Dominant White vs. Splash. If she has splash, all chicks would be blue. If she has Dominant White, you might get all white chicks (with some black leakage in places), or you might get a 50/50 split of white chicks and black chicks. (Just to make life complicated: it is also possible for a chicken to have both Dominant White and blue or splash. The Dominant White causes white in the feathers, but the blue or splash genes still get passed on to the offspring, where they might be visible.)

If you breed her to a solid black rooster, you won't learn anything about what patterning she may (or may not) have, because patterns don't show on all-black chicks. I would recommend a rooster that shows some black and some red or gold, for testing that. I would not use a rooster with Silver or with white barring, because other white will make it harder to interpret the results.

If you raised her from a chick, do you have photos or remember what color she was? The chick down sometimes helps figure out the e-locus part of a chicken's genetics, which can have a big effect on how the black and gold are distributed on the chicken (or the white and gold, in her case.)

She does have a very very light amount of blue in her feathering, so splash could also make sense. Would a BLRW coloring result in this pattern-ish if mixed with something else that is blue?
Breeding Blue Laced Red chickens definitely can produce Splash Laced Red chickens. Yes it is possible that crossing something like Blue Laced Red with another Blue-something pattern could create Splash partial-laced birds that look rather like her.

But crossing a Blue Laced Red chicken with one that is blue all over would most likely create chicks that are blue all over, or splash all over, rather than a pattern that includes as much gold as she has.

The pullet black pigment has been diluted by Splash(You can see faint grey on hackles), Recessive Mottling. Gold based and Red enhanced. She is likely eb/eb as e+ is not seen frequently on EEs,

I would say she is eb/eb, mo/mo, Mh/Mh s+/- Bl/Bl. Someone input that on the Calculator and see the name of the pattern.

I would say she is eb/eb, mo/mo, Mh/Mh s+/- Bl/Bl. Someone input that on the Calculator and see the name of the pattern.
The calculator says:
splash patterned red partridge/brown pied/mottled

She is likely eb/eb as e+ is not seen frequently on EEs
Oh? I had thought e+ was fairly common in Easter Eggers. Then again, there are so many colors of EEs, I might have seen quite a few without it actually being common.

Hi Nicalandia! I have a question that I know you can help me with :) I want to breed ameraucana that have the autosexing coloration of the 55 flowery. I know the 55s are barred and mottled but I'm not sure the best path to get there while maintaining a blue egg. Would it be best to just buy some 55s and mix in the ameraucana genes for the beard and blue egg? If that's the shortest path, what color ameraucana would I need to use? I have bbs ameraucana already but could invest in another color if it would work better.
It works better if you tag @nicalandia

I don't personally know what color Ameraucana would be best, but I suspect black/blue/splash would not be the best choice because you don't want an all-black base color.

A solid black rooster could work for testing Dominant White vs. Splash. If she has splash, all chicks would be blue. If she has Dominant White, you might get all white chicks (with some black leakage in places), or you might get a 50/50 split of white chicks and black chicks. (Just to make life complicated: it is also possible for a chicken to have both Dominant White and blue or splash. The Dominant White causes white in the feathers, but the blue or splash genes still get passed on to the offspring, where they might be visible.)

If you breed her to a solid black rooster, you won't learn anything about what patterning she may (or may not) have, because patterns don't show on all-black chicks. I would recommend a rooster that shows some black and some red or gold, for testing that. I would not use a rooster with Silver or with white barring, because other white will make it harder to interpret the results.

If you raised her from a chick, do you have photos or remember what color she was? The chick down sometimes helps figure out the e-locus part of a chicken's genetics, which can have a big effect on how the black and gold are distributed on the chicken (or the white and gold, in her case.)

Breeding Blue Laced Red chickens definitely can produce Splash Laced Red chickens. Yes it is possible that crossing something like Blue Laced Red with another Blue-something pattern could create Splash partial-laced birds that look rather like her.

But crossing a Blue Laced Red chicken with one that is blue all over would most likely create chicks that are blue all over, or splash all over, rather than a pattern that includes as much gold as she has.
The pullet black pigment has been diluted by Splash(You can see faint grey on hackles), Recessive Mottling. Gold based and Red enhanced. She is likely eb/eb as e+ is not seen frequently on EEs,

This is very interesting, thank you both of you! SO! If she is mottled, what would happen if she was matched up with either my Olandsk Dwark or Tolbunt Polish? This was her as a baby! 😍

Attachments

• 9704C629-422A-4A35-B807-27F7B888ACB9.jpeg
    9704C629-422A-4A35-B807-27F7B888ACB9.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 6EC1119E-5B56-47A3-8246-3DCA21AB36DC.jpeg
    6EC1119E-5B56-47A3-8246-3DCA21AB36DC.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DD54F717-9FC6-46A4-BC9D-1928783715A6.jpeg
    DD54F717-9FC6-46A4-BC9D-1928783715A6.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 2
If she is mottled, what would happen if she was matched up with either my Olandsk Dwark or Tolbunt Polish?
If she is mottled, and you breed her to a rooster who is mottled, all chicks will also show mottling.

If she's splash, and the rooster has black (not blue or splash), then all chicks will show blue.

I'm not sure about what other colors or patterns you will see in the chicks, apart from the blue and the mottling.

This was her as a baby! 😍
Cute :)
But one of those chick colors that I can't identify :(
(Although I am definitely not seeing chipmunk stripes--which would go with e+-- so that agrees with what @nicalandia said.)

Last edited:
This is very interesting, thank you both of you! SO! If she is mottled, what would happen if she was matched up with either my Olandsk Dwark or Tolbunt Polish? This was her as a baby! 😍
I would test breed her to a mottled chicken, though she doesn’t look mottled to me, more like partially laced or incomplete penciled.

Hi Nicalandia! I have a question that I know you can help me with :) I want to breed ameraucana that have the autosexing coloration of the 55 flowery. I know the 55s are barred and mottled but I'm not sure the best path to get there while maintaining a blue egg. Would it be best to just buy some 55s and mix in the ameraucana genes for the beard and blue egg? If that's the shortest path, what color ameraucana would I need to use? I have bbs ameraucana already but could invest in another color if it would work better.
@nicalandia

Trying again :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom