The Best Way to Hatch Chicks

What is the best hatching method with the best hatch rate?

• Incubator (more humidity)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Incubator (less humidity)

• Hatch in cup method

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Broody Hen (usually broody breed) in coop

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Broody Hen (not usually broody breed) in coop

• The heat lamp, wet sponge, thermometer method

• Broody Hen (not usually broody breed) seperated

• Broody Hen (usually broody breed) separated

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Broody Hen (bantam breed) in coop

• Broody Hen (bantam breed) seperated

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other(leave your answer below)

• Total voters

NoFlyBackFarm

Crowing
Aug 6, 2018
Pilesgrove, New Jersey
I've used many methods. I've always wanted to know the best. Mine span anywhere from, my very first time, using a heat lamp and thermometer to broody hens (current). The better hatch rate is usually my broodies, but maybe there is something else I don't know about. I also want to know a good brand of incubators, if anyone has a suggestion. Feel free to post chick pics from different methods as well!

Wow. I've always had 100% with my broodys. Of course if the egg isn't developing after 3 to 5 days I remove or swap out and I dont have them a bunch of eggs usually 1 to 3 eggs because I have a large flock and dont need to expand in large #s. But my experience with incubators was horrible and will never use one again. My hen hatched live healthy chicks that do better than any I've ever gotten from a store or shipped.

I think you best bet is either a broody (of a usually broody breed) separated from the flock or a good incubator with correct temperature and humidity.

I check, usually! Sometimes a hen will disappear, and come back with 3 or 4 kids!
I've never experienced that... yet any way. We do a head count so if a hen went missing there would be search parties out to find her lol. I have found hidden clutches in the coop and run. Then there was harriet who would lay her eggs under the exhaust for the dryer. What a wonderful mess that was.

Back
Top Bottom