The chicks arrived today, what's left of 'em - pics of survivors

Quote:
Yeah,They shipped mine on Friday both shipments.First shipment I got on Tuesday.Second came in on Monday.They were pretty abrupt when I said I didn't realize they only shipped on weekends.She quite rudely said"We been doin it for years and it's never been a problem before!" I was like I wasn't blaming or anything,but we have had a really screwy winter this year,and if I'd known the weather was gonna be like this I would have waited till later.We usually have alot warmer winters here.

I'm new here - just signed up because of this thread as a matter of fact.

I've ordered chicks and poults from 2 different companies over the last 2 years and received the shipments very quickly and never did the post office or hatchery say that they could only be shipped out on Saturday. Is the hatchery saying they HAVE to ship on Saturday or are they saying that is the only day they WILL ship?

I believe when we ordered from Welp (IA) they shipped out Monday and arrived early Wednesday (IL) then last year we ordered from Cackle (MO) and I believe they shipped Wednesday and arrived Friday. I would be terribly upset if my chicks had to spend longer than 2 or 3 days total in transit because the hatchery claimed they were only allowed to ship on the weekend. I had no losses due to shipping or disease in either case.

This year I'm ordering from Cackle again and they are shipping on Wednesday and should arrive on Friday. Later in the spring I have goslings ordered from Metzer and they are shipping on a Mon. to arrive Wed. This one I am a little worried about - they are MUCH farther away than my previous orders & I am concerned about how well shipping will go. But for the breed we wanted, ability to chose sexed chicks & total cost, they were the best choice (we did try Murray first, but couldn't get sexed birds and because they would have divided our birds into 3 orders the shipping charges were tripled).

I just wonder if Murray is telling you they only ship on Sat. or if they are saying the Post Office will only allow hatcheries to ship Sat. Because if they are telling you it is the P.O. you need to contact your local office and find out directly what their policy is.

Anyhow. This turned into a very long reply. But I want to say I am very sorry for your negative experience! I know that the weather has been horrible & that was likely the cause of the deaths. I really hope your next babies arrive healthy and happy. Also, generally the reviews I've read about Murray have been very positive from apparently quite happy customers. It's just that Saturday shipping thing is really bugging me.

Best Wishes!

Joyce
Brown Fox Farm

Quote:
Please don't be too discouraged - most folks seem to have good experiences. I'm in Denver where there's snow on the ground with lows below freezing every night. I ordered from a hatchery in PA and after traversing 1,600 miles across the northern part of the US during winter all 26 birds arrived just fine. We haven't lost a single one of these lively little fuzzies over the first 5 days we've had them so far. I think you're just hearing folk's worst stories in this thread. Chicks have been going through the mail for many decades so I think if it were often as bad as what's stated, it would have been abandoned by now.

Here's a shout out to the Freedom Ranger Hatchery for getting our birds to us safe and sound!

-DB

I have to second DenverBird's comment. Keep your chin up. The majority of chicks, by far, arrive without a hitch.
jumpy.gif

Joyce
Brown Fox Farm

Quote:
I'll say! Five days for a chick to survive in a box with no food or water, awful.

I always feel kind of sick when I read threads like this about chicks dying in transit. I know they *can* go three days without food or water but every time I have hatched out chicks in my incubator I always notice how quickly they start pecking around looking for food and water as soon as they're up on their feet. A couple of days ago I had to leave two chicks in the bator for over 24 hours while a third one pipped and hatched, and by the time I put them in the brooder they just dived at the water dropper like they'd been stuck in the desert for a week. I couldn't imagine putting my own newly hatched chicks in a box and posting them, knowing they'd be in that box for maybe three days...

This isn't intended as criticism towards anyone btw, as I do understand that for a lot of people this is the only way to get the chicks they want. I'm just glad that over here mail order chicks aren't available. Any rare birds I want, if I can't drive to get them I have to take my chance with shipped eggs.

To the OP: I'm sorry about your chicks. Must have been awful to find all those tiny bodies. But on a positive note, the survivors are all beautiful!

I ordered chicks from Murray to be delivered 1st week of March. Now I'm worried after hearing all these problems. I live in No. Carolina and I called them to verify my order and ask about the delivery date, they said they only ship on Sat. which seems strange to me that it's not a Mon or Tues shipping to get here ASAP not allowing for a Sunday to sit somewhere?

terry's chicks :

I ordered chicks from Murray to be delivered 1st week of March. Now I'm worried after hearing all these problems. I live in No. Carolina and I called them to verify my order and ask about the delivery date, they said they only ship on Sat. which seems strange to me that it's not a Mon or Tues shipping to get here ASAP not allowing for a Sunday to sit somewhere?

Even though local post offices are closed on Sunday the mail is still being routed.​

terry's chicks :

Sometimes the post office will call you on Sunday. Mine did.

I also had problems with Mcmurray chicks. Mine all arrived alive, but within two hours I'd lost 90% of my order. They died by the breeds. I lost all my SL Polish first, then all the GL polish, and so on and so forth. Every chick was dead within 24 hours. They refunded my money though, as I didn't want to watch anymore chicks die.​

I'm so sorry you had dead chicks. That is terrible. I have had that happen with one order of meaties from a different hatchery, and it was very sad. 18 out of 25 arrived dead. I have no idea what happened to them, but when the hatchery re-shipped the next week (in March) all arrived well and survived until we butchered. That was the only bad shipment I've ever had from a hatchery, and I've made a lot of hatchery orders.

But I have to add my successful orders from McMurray here, just so people know that they do give good service, and chicks who hatch and ship on Saturday can and do arrive well and healthy. My first order had 56 chicks, after I'd ordered 36. One was trompled to death in the box, and I lost two others in the first couple of days. But those birds lived to be strong and healthy. They were an early March order. My second shipment from them came in the heat of a New Mexico July, 26 active babies when I ordered 25. I didn't lose a single one. I haven't ordered from McMurray again simply because I don't want to make a 25-bird minimum order. I prefer the $25 minimum from Ideal, and Texas is my neighbor...

I hope you get your new babies safely home. HUGS!!!
hugs.gif

Oh, and just wanted to add...
There is no law that says hatcheries have to ship on Saturdays. I had an order shipped today (Tuesday) from Ideal. Can't wait til Thursday!

How sad for you and the little chicks. I'm lucky as to be only an hour away from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, Missouri. My order's hatch date is February 23rd, and they say to pick them up the 24th. They open at 0900, I plan on being there at 0845 with the heater on.

Quote:
My brother is in Lebanon MO, he is stationed at Ft. LW there :) Totally OT; but had to share...I think the next time I drive that long 4 hr drive to visit him; I'll get some chicks too! LOL

Back
Top Bottom