The Coop is 75% done.......PIC HEAVY!!

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Are you going to put holes in the backside of the nest boxes so you can reach in from the outside?

Looking really GREAT. I wish I would have painted my 2 x 4 roosts. They do get poopy, usually from their feet.

Yes, we're going to cut square holes in the back sides of each box for easy access from outside the coop. Woo hoo! I'm glad we painted the roost bars, I'm hoping they'll clean up easier, and we made them removable also, so we can just lift out each 2'x4' and hose them off.

Thank you for your nice words!​

Quote:
WOW.....Coming from you that is high praise indeed! Thank you so much.
love.gif

Quote:
Thank you Nifty-Chicken! I hope to also, it might take me a little while to figure out the page making business, but I'm sure we'll get it done sometime shortly after coop is finished.

I have a question about putting down landscaping cloth over the gravel we put down in the run. We're planning to put down 4-6 inches of sand on top of the gravel, but have heard about other people's experience on BYC of their chickens digging up the rocks and making a big mess of it. So......will the chickens dig up the landscaping cloth and tear it up and end up pulling it up, or will it be ok?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Beautiful coop! May I give you one little suggestion? I have my feeder under my raised coop like you do. I actually made a permanent box style feeder that I can fill up from the outside, but I can't get in there to clean it out if dirt gets in it because I didn't make an easy access door. I would suggest taking off one of your wire run panels under the coop and making a wired door that you can open. It would allow you to refill the water and food without having to go into the icky run (well, it will get icky). I wish I would have done this with mine.

OK, so I have some more photos, lol. We finished the trim on the windows and vents and put latches on the side doors, so we can put the chickens in the coop for the first time. We still have other things that need to be done, such as the ramp, more hardware cloth, sand for the run, and the roofing. But it's definitely a step in the right direction. Here goes:

65588_img_1565.jpg

65588_img_1566.jpg

65588_img_1567.jpg

Here are our vents open...
65588_img_1568.jpg

Here are our vents closed....
65588_img_1569.jpg

and inside shot showing the new poop pan we purchased at TSC (30"x30"), and the 40w bulb
65588_img_1572.jpg

65588_img_1575.jpg

This is the sensor part of 'The Weather Channel" temperature gauge. It tells me the temperature as well as the humidity all from the comfort of our own home.
65588_img_1576.jpg

and here are the girls......they are still in shock, lol.
65588_img_1578.jpg

65588_img_1579.jpg

We've had a slight set back on the roofing, lol. (major understatement) My husband and I ended up drilling the holes in the roofing panels a little crooked and it's causing a huge problem. Now the panels won't line up straight. We're fit to be tied, lol. Suffice it to say, we chose to work on other things for a couple of days till we simmer down. Hopefully we can come up with a fix, otherwise we'll have to buy more panels. YIKES!

Back
Top Bottom