Announcement The Coop Page / Article Rating & Review Project!

Code:
   // same as the xf resource manager to maintain a standard.
    public static $voteThreshold = 10;
    public static $averageVote = 3;

public function getWeightedRating($count, $sum)
    {
        return (self::$voteThreshold * self::$averageVote + $sum) / (self::$voteThreshold + $count);
    }
As @Nifty-Chicken kindly included, this code is what the site is using.
It is taking our vote threshold, multiplying it by the average vote and adding the sum (total number of stars). It is then dividing that number by the vote threshold + the total number of reviews.
vote threshold = 10
average vote = 3

10 x 3 + total number of stars/ 10 + number of reviews
Take an article with 5 reviews and a total number of 18 stars
10 x 3 + 18/ 10 + 5 = Rating
Yea, it sorta works the way ice hockey goalie's goals against average stats are kept. This ensures that a goaltender who gets no goals against in one game played doesn't hold a higher standing than a goaltender who played 54 games with a 2.10 goals against average. I know there is barely anything in common with goalie stats and chicken coop ratings but it is the same idea :lau

Yea, it sorta works the way ice hockey goalie's goals against average stats are kept. This ensures that a goaltender who gets no goals against in one game played doesn't hold a higher standing than a goaltender who played 54 games with a 2.10 goals against average. I know there is barely anything in common with goalie stats and chicken coop ratings but it is the same idea :lau
I'm just :lau at the fact that the Canadian remembers Bayesian average statistics because it related to Hockey!!! :lau :lau
Boy, if I didn't already know you live in Canadia :p

This ensures that a goaltender who gets no goals against in one game played doesn't hold a higher standing than a goaltender who played 54 games with a 2.10 goals against average.
That makes more sense to me. Thanks. Am not math head, at all.
...and it makes more sense to apply it to sports stats, than coop pages in the net. :D

BTW, I should have done this earlier, but check out this data on the number of reviews for coops under 5 ratings:

upload_2018-6-28_17-9-30.png

... and if I don't limit the query to only those below 5, here's what we get:

upload_2018-6-28_17-10-40.png

YAY FOR DATA!! :wee

I'm just :lau at the fact that the Canadian remembers Bayesian average statistics because it related to Hockey!!! :lau :lau
Boy, if I didn't already know you live in Canadia :p
That's how our entire house hold is :lau. We identify American cities by the team that plays there :lau. Like I'll see a picture of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and say "hey, there's the place where the St. Louis Blues play in :lau
That makes more sense to me. Thanks. Am not math head, at all.
...and it makes more sense to apply it to sports stats, than coop pages in the net. :D
Ah, it's a handy thing and makes more sense to use than normal average

Back
Top Bottom