The difference in curly and smooth breasted Sebastopols

Hi

I have seen a Sebastopol x Toulouse and it was smaller than a Toulouse but had the correct body shape. The longer feathers were confined to the back and scapular region but not very long. However these longer feathers sometimes lengthen with age.

Here's a picture but not the best quality but gives you the idea
wink.png

I have included a couple of pics of my goose from Gray saddleback Pomeranian X Sebastopol. She has a curly brest , and you can see her spot above her eye(I have a red dot to identify her in the pics). We got rain all day Saturday here so they are a little dirty. In one of the pic is the gander which is smooth breasted. I am really surprised to get a curly breast from that cross. Got my first egg this morning from that group and I am excited to hatch some gosling from them.

The classic "smooth breasted" white Sebastopol is curly all over with just a smooth breast, as described and illustrated by Pete55.
I think were the confusion comes in is, there are so many colored Sebastopols out there now that have varying degrees of smooth
and curly feathers that can range from almost all smooth to just smooth breasted so people need to be specific when
inquirying or describing especially when in the case of a purchase or a sale.
"Smooth" can mean many things depending on who you are talking to.

From all I can gather...aside from Dave Holderread developing colored Sebastopols most of the established U.S. Sebastopols breeders would never
dream of using a smooth breasted Sebastopol but I'm beginning to suspect from what Pete has told us regarding the UK Sebs not having twisted
wing tip (not to be confused with Angel Wing) that breeding curly x curly MIGHT be contributing to the common problem of TWT because smooth
breasted is favored in the UK and curly x curly breedings frowned upon.
Dave H has said breeding smooth x curly helps prevent wing disorders although I've personally had 2 - 3 cases of really on set TWT in my
smooth gander's offspring so I don't know what to think.
Since I have a small operation I can't really determine if this is the case or not but it makes sense to me that TWT is the result of the curly feather mutation
and/or breeding curly x curly.

As for using smooth individuals my best curly saddleback goose
has a very smooth father so the smooth gene does not necessarilly hinder the production of quality of long feathering.
Never-the-less people generally want curly not smooth Sebastopols so keep that in mine that when using smooth breeding stock
that around 50% of your goslings will be smooth to varying degrees. If you are just breeding a few pets and selling to a pet market
you'd be better off having all curly breeding stock.

Hope this helps and please join our specialty breed forum to learn more about Sebastopols.

My smooth saddleback gander.

Smooth gander's son

Smooth gander's daughter

Last edited:
No she doesn't. CottageRose's birds are wonderful creatures. You will need to join the ranks of us who frequent her web site to see if she has any goslings or started birds for sale.

We were very fortunate to get two birds from Cottage, and adore them. Currently have their first eggs of the season in our incubator. They are pictured in our avatar on here currently, Peaches(smooth) and McGraw (curly).

Hi

The main difference is the the Smooth Breasted has one Curled Feather gene whereas Curled Sebastopols have a pair. Breeding a Smooth Breated to a Curled will give you 50% Smooth Breasted and 50% Curled offspring.

In the UK the Smooth Breasted is more popular and more easily found. Also they are recognised for showing in the UK. Our best Seb is a female Smooth Breasted. She is on the left of the picture with flowing feathers from the scapulars over the wings and looks very elegant.

Back
Top Bottom