The difference in curly and smooth breasted Sebastopols

Christine, I mix the Mazuri waterfowl with purina omega 3 layer pellet, boss, whole oats. I have noticed the newest pair (McGraw & Peaches from CottageRose) will pick all of the boss and waterfowl out first then eat the other. :lol:

I've been starting my goslings on the Mazuri Starter the past couple years. Then I switch over to Purina Flock Raiser once a day (evenings) when they are big enough to be outside and eat grass all day.

The adult birds and bigger goslings get flock raiser and oats during the summer. In the fall, the birds get lots of apples off my two apple trees in their pen and I cut the oats. When winter rolls around, I give flock raiser and when it gets below 25 degrees I add a little bit of corn. The first of February until the end of breeding season I start the birds on Gamebird Breeder and add some red wheat. Instead of putting red cell in their water, I am putting it in their grains this year.

Last edited:
So you don't worry about the animal products in the food for geese? I just ordered some Mazuri starter for my ducklings that will be hatching soon, but I'm hoping to get some Seb eggs from you at the Stevenson show, so I was hoping I could use it for the goslings, too.

I've been starting my goslings on the Mazuri Starter the past couple years. Then I switch over to Purina Flock Raiser once a day (evenings) when they are big enough to be outside and eat grass all day.

The adult birds and bigger goslings get flock raiser and oats during the summer. In the fall, the birds get lots of apples off my two apple trees in their pen and I cut the oats. When winter rolls around, I give flock raiser and when it gets below 25 degrees I add a little bit of corn. The first of February until the end of breeding season I start the birds on Gamebird Breeder and add some red wheat. Instead of putting red cell in their water, I am putting it in their grains this year.

Christine
IMO I would be more worried about that dog-gone soy in commercial rations than animal products protein.
Geese maybe prefer grass but in the wild I'm sure they eat snails and little fishies.
Soy has a precursor to estrogen which can mess with hormones.

Last edited:
Good point. Not to mention a good portion of it is genetically modified.

Christine
IMO I would be more worried about that dog-gone soy in commercial rations than animal products protein.
Geese maybe prefer grass but in the wild I'm sure they eat snails and little fishies.
Soy has a precursor to estrogen which can mess with hormones.

I have to disagree. I was feeding my mare an "alfalfa oat pellet" and read the label. First ingredient was soy.
A lot of the layer pellets and crumbles list soy and/or corn as #1 or #2 ingredient. Even the good name brands. I think mazuri has corn as #1 ingredient. I'd have to look back....
My farm supply guy hates me for reading labels !!! I feed mainly oats and pick tons of rye grass and clover and allow plenty of grazing time outside the breeding season.

With all the genetically modified seeds these days (Thanks, monsanto), its scary for the animals and US as well.

Happy hatching everyone!!

Kim

There is no animal protein in the feed I use, but my geese's favorite treat is dry cat food, which I feed specifically because it contains animal protein.

Fresh growing green grass is the best food, but there is no grass here in the winter, so my geese are living on a grain based diet in the winter. It hasn't seemed to harm them.

Oregon just pointed out a great thing I had forgotten. We have thick green grass year round here, so the feed needed/consumed is far less than what others go through during the off season months. Very fortunate to have grazing all year long here.

I'm setting up a new area that's about a 1/4 acre for my ducks (and hopefully I'll manage to get some Sebs soon). Somewhere, I read about a website that sells forage seed specifically for grazing areas for geese. Has anyone heard of the company? I know I can buy my own seeds to create a mixture of plants I want, but thought it might be cheaper to buy a mix that already has what I need. That way I don't have to buy a bunch of different bags of seed and end up with more than I need.

Sorry, this thread is getting off-topic...

Back
Top Bottom