The Easter Bunny is Really a Duck

BReeder!

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Plainfield, IL
My Coop
My Coop
My ducks are laying eggs all over the lawn. My wife looked out there window this morning and said, "When I go out there I am going to have an egg hunt." There looked to be the eggs in the lawn, each in a different spot. We have the female Rouen ducks who lay anywhere they choose. I believe one of our two Pekin ducks is a female also, but not sure she's laying yet. How do we convince these ducks to lay in a dedicated area, ideally the duck house built into our coop?

There's pine shavings on the floor of the duck house and it's about 4'x4' and 3' tall. We feed the ducks in their house too. They have a pond just outside there duck house and is 10'x5' and 4' deep. That pond and the area around it is usually fenced in but I like allowing the ducks onto the lawn and they seam to really enjoy it.

If you don't have a nesting box for them, Yes, they are going to lay in the yard. Many different nesting box designs are on the internet, Mine like it dark and quiet. If you put some golfballs in there it might help them get used to it, but if you leave them in there too long don't be surprised if they want to start hatching them.

I made crude lil cubbies for my ducks and they love them my Muscovy especially. My Runner an Buffs have always laid were ever they are until this year my 3 youngest are laying inside so I’m hoping they’ll teach my older Runners to also.
2EAA1EF8-7090-4445-A385-BD059E0441FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh I still see eggs laying where ever. Or I use to when my older Runners were laying they can just be running up the hill and out pops an egg. But my 3 youngins lay inside I am so happy.
LOL yes!! This is what I'm seeing, she doesn't have time to sit and lay an egg...goes from wandering and foraging, spins a couple circles, and out pops an egg 😂

Back
Top Bottom