The EE braggers thread!!!

That's why I said usually, and that I didn't know whether or not it would help at all with EEs. All the old timers I've talked to in my area have said it was connected to leg color in EEs, but if it's comb then it's comb. Again, since they are mixes, I figure the only 100% way to know is when a girl starts laying. Not trying to start a debate, though it is of course an interesting topic! I really appreciate the help and advice the people around me that have kept chickens for so long have given, if it is incorrect or has been disproven, then that's fine. These are experiences only, but it has helped me greatly in many capacities, and I just like to talk to them about chickens! So many stories! If there is any real way to tell what color egg an EE will lay, then please share with the rest of us! Again, this is from people I know that have kept for decades, and it proved to be true for all of them. Chicken Pickin, good luck with the comb project! It would be great to see what happens!

AHHH......everyone says it's in the leg color, green for green, slate for blue. All the people nearby that keep EEs have said the correlation lines up in their birds. Figured the 20+ year veterans would know, lol. Guess it just worked out that way for them. They said to look at the bottom of the feet though. They all have pea combed or the "hybrid" comb types in their birds. I just chalk it up at the end of the day to not knowing until the eggs come, they are mutts after all. Beautiful, healthy, quirky mutts.
roll.png

I currently have 2 Columbian colored EE's that is 1/2 Naked Neck and 1/2 Easter Egger, not entirely sure which way it was crossed father/mother as I had them both ways, any way these hens lay an olive colored egg. They have yellow legs one has a beard and one doesn't. I also have one that has green legs and she laid a light minty green egg.

Hey guys,
I know the pics aren't super great, but I was hoping some of you could tell me what color you would say my EE girls legs are. I've heard there is a connection between the color of legs and the color of eggs that they will lay and I wanna put that hypothesis to the test! :) I know leg colors can be like slate and stuff. What would you say my girls are?

Um.. sorry. No correlation between leg color and egg color - no link between those genes at all. Old wives tale that didn't even hold true back in the "old" days.. White legs didn't lay white, and yellow legs didn't lay yellow
wink.png
Your girls have nice dark legs, look at the bottoms of their feet. If they are white then the legs are Slate. If they are yellow, then the legs are green. Black Jade is also green - just very dark green!

There IS a link between the COMB gene and the egg color - they can be loosely linked but that link can be broken also, as I know of straight combed bird that lay green or blue eggs (Isbar is one), and a rose combed bird (one of my EEs) that lays white.

By the way - I LOVE Ethel's coloring! Very Beautiful!

Well while I was dawdling I see you got answered tons of times. The people who have the EEs with the slate legs that lay blue eggs probably do not have an outcross to a brown egg layer. A lot of brown egg layers have yellow legs - so that would contribute both the yellow legs (which are recessive and will hide in the first generation and only show up when crossed back to the yellow legged bird) and the green to the eggs. Perhaps that is why it works in their birds. I have not seen a correlation between a brown egg gene (there are more than one) and yellow skin, but there might be one of those. It doesn't work in the rest of the world though... Dark legs do not give blue eggs. I have silkies - and none of them lay blue eggs
tongue.png
(and they have bright BLUE ears!)

Last edited:
That's why I said usually, and that I didn't know whether or not it would help at all with EEs. All the old timers I've talked to in my area have said it was connected to leg color in EEs, but if it's comb then it's comb. Again, since they are mixes, I figure the only 100% way to know is when a girl starts laying. Not trying to start a debate, though it is of course an interesting topic! I really appreciate the help and advice the people around me that have kept chickens for so long have given, if it is incorrect or has been disproven, then that's fine. These are experiences only, but it has helped me greatly in many capacities, and I just like to talk to them about chickens! So many stories! If there is any real way to tell what color egg an EE will lay, then please share with the rest of us! Again, this is from people I know that have kept for decades, and it proved to be true for all of them. Chicken Pickin, good luck with the comb project! It would be great to see what happens!

The earlobe and egg color thing only drives me batty when someone on an educational show about chickens says it and should know better. On here I assume that most people are going by what they have been told all their lives, which is understandable. My Grandmother, Great Aunt, and Mother (all whom have raised chickens and learned from Great Grandma who sold eggs but only ever had two breeds) kept telling me all sorts of stuff that they knew like the earlobe and shell thing. Also that "blood spots are fertile eggs". Big argument that was had with my Great Aunt was over black chicken meat. Mom had mentioned it to her after I got fed up with the aggressive little snot of a silkie rooster and turned him into soup. My Aunt would not believe it at all.

Only way to tell what color your EEs will lay would be to breed them yourself. I assume that the hatchery hens I have only carry one copy of the blue egg gene. (except the one who lays a pink egg who has the best pea comb of them). I've hatched my own EEs from silkie crosses and got lucky. The current EE chicks I have are fathered by a wheaten ameraucana so I know they will have blue or green eggs. Two of the eggs I hatched were olive so they have a 50 percent chance of getting that brown gene needed for the green probably. I've thought about getting a Legbar rooster for the laying flock to keep the laying amount up and still have the blue eggs in the offspring.

The earlobe and egg color thing only drives me batty when someone on an educational show about chickens says it and should know better. On here I assume that most people are going by what they have been told all their lives, which is understandable. My Grandmother, Great Aunt, and Mother (all whom have raised chickens and learned from Great Grandma who sold eggs but only ever had two breeds) kept telling me all sorts of stuff that they knew like the earlobe and shell thing. Also that "blood spots are fertile eggs". Big argument that was had with my Great Aunt was over black chicken meat. Mom had mentioned it to her after I got fed up with the aggressive little snot of a silkie rooster and turned him into soup. My Aunt would not believe it at all.

Only way to tell what color your EEs will lay would be to breed them yourself. I assume that the hatchery hens I have only carry one copy of the blue egg gene. (except the one who lays a pink egg who has the best pea comb of them). I've hatched my own EEs from silkie crosses and got lucky. The current EE chicks I have are fathered by a wheaten ameraucana so I know they will have blue or green eggs. Two of the eggs I hatched were olive so they have a 50 percent chance of getting that brown gene needed for the green probably. I've thought about getting a Legbar rooster for the laying flock to keep the laying amount up and still have the blue eggs in the offspring.

That will be how I do it going forward. Hatched what so far seems a Lavender Am roo (I hope! I also know this is a project color, we are getting blacks soon as well.), and will use him to make our own in the future. We also have a Cream Legbar pullet, and will be getting more, so we have more blue, even in our EEs.

I didn't even know that mine were, thought they were Americaunas........ and great luck, they all 3 are pullets and I love the colours! 11 weeks old today

Cookie

Oreo

Cheeky

Back
Top Bottom