The EE braggers thread!!!

Thanks!!

Yes, she is black.  Black to the skin and has a beetle sheen. 

What about muffs beards and crests?  Foot feathering? 
And egg color!!  :)

:weee
They would have minor foot feathering. Some would have 5 toes, some wouldn't. Some will have black skin, some won't. All will have beards and muffs if your silkie was bearded. If she's not, you will get some partially bearded, some full bearded, and some with no beards at all.

Crests will be minimal as well. Egg colour depends on your rooster's genetics in this case, because the mother would lay a white egg. Probably either blue or green. Hard to say!

Keep the ones with the pea combs. You will have a 95% chance of getting blue or green out of them.

They would have minor foot feathering. Some would have 5 toes, some wouldn't. Some will have black skin, some won't. All will have beards and muffs if your silkie was bearded. If she's not, you will get some partially bearded, some full bearded, and some with no beards at all.
Crests will be minimal as well. Egg colour depends on your rooster's genetics in this case, because the mother would lay a white egg. Probably either blue or green. Hard to say!
Keep the ones with the pea combs. You will have a 95% chance of getting blue or green out of them.

Thanks!!

She is bearded, so beards we'd get! Little crests would be cute.

Egg color shouldn't be green...??
The cockerel is a pure Ameraucana [and from show stock]. Not an EE. So he should give the true blue egg gene. My silkie has creamy white eggs. So I am assuming the eggs will be a pale [maybe very pale?] blue color.

Oh I hope some hatch!!
jumpy.gif

Thanks!!

She is bearded, so beards we'd get!  Little crests would be cute.

Egg color shouldn't be green...??
The cockerel is a pure Ameraucana [and from show stock].  Not an EE.  So he should give the true blue egg gene.    My silkie has creamy white eggs.  So I am assuming the eggs will be a pale [maybe very pale?] blue color.

Oh I hope some hatch!!
:jumpy
Oh yes, then no green :) I did read he was pure Ameraucana, but forgot when I was replying :lol:

Keep us updated!

I think I have two EEs laying now.

The green one is from yesterday... and I KNOW it's from Kaylee. I weighed it, and it was 44g.
This morning I found the little blue/green one there on the right. I weighed it, and it's 54g.

My leghorn also laid a nice 50g egg this morning too... It was her 17th egg. Her first egg was only 38g, and she's been steadily laying larger eggs by a half a gram or so every time she lays a new one.

So... I'm thinking the 10g difference in size and the color difference between the two colored eggs there means 2 different EEs are laying.

amiright?

If so, I'm pretty sure it's from Bridget. She's a much bigger, heavier bird than the others, bigger even than my two Wyandottes.

p.s. This is Bridget:

Last edited:
I think I have two EEs laying now.

The green one is from yesterday... and I KNOW it's from Kaylee. I weighed it, and it was 44g.
This morning I found the little blue/green one there on the right. I weighed it, and it's 54g.

My leghorn also laid a nice 50g egg this morning too... It was her 17th egg. Her first egg was only 38g, and she's been steadily laying larger eggs by a half a gram or so every time she lays a new one.

So... I'm thinking the 10g difference in size and the color difference between the two colored eggs there means 2 different EEs are laying.

amiright?

If so, I'm pretty sure it's from Bridget. She's a much bigger, heavier bird than the others, bigger even than my two Wyandottes.

p.s. This is Bridget:

Beautiful colors!

Oh yes, then no green
smile.png
I did read he was pure Ameraucana, but forgot when I was replying
lol.png

Keep us updated!

Thanks so much for your help, aoxa!

I will perhaps know in about 10 days if they're fertile!! Woot. Fingers crossed. I want my own EE!
love.gif

I'll keep all posted.

I have hatched a few eggs that were fertilized by my blue silkie rooster. All chicks had black skin, good silkie feet with feathers, small crests and various shades of blue and black since the hens were of different colors.

I have hatched a few eggs that were fertilized by my blue silkie rooster. All chicks had black skin, good silkie feet with feathers, small crests and various shades of blue and black since the hens were of different colors.

How cool! Please post more pictures!

UNLESS the barring comes from the mother ONLY then you have sex linked roos
wink.png
So, how does this work? I want to make my own EEs in the Spring too! Last night I traded a RIR for a Barred Rock pullet. I have 2 EE roosters:
Mallard

And Larry:

What characteristics of the chicks would make them sex linked if I put her with either of these boys?

Quote:
The fact that the silkie lays a light brown egg.... you would probably get greener eggs. And Ams do lay green eggs so don't be surprised. Unless you KNOW the breeder breeds for egg color don't guess they SHOULD be blue. I get eggs from a very pretty LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT blue almost white to a nice MINTY green egg from my ams and they came from good breeders too.

Back
Top Bottom