15 Years
Mar 30, 2009
VeRmOnT
9147CA64-9688-4956-A5C2-FFF9699F89DC.jpeg
7244273B-147C-43C1-BBFB-0DBAAF6D5DB0.jpeg
F5AC614A-CC9D-477D-8439-5168277A09CD.jpeg
5DE34756-DBBC-4F43-A636-88C46BF31946.jpeg
CC0F4E94-5A36-4BC8-A94C-79F82EDCEAF2.jpeg
New house this year with lovely garden beds that I’ve juts spent days weeding and mulching and one day gone and I come home to? Yesterday’s lettuce. Or something like this. They don’t regret it, I asked. I’m considering garden fencing everywhere but it’s a pricey installment. Will it work?

At the end of one year our yard looked like a moon scape.

Plus there were chicken bombs EVERYWHERE.

finally made the decision to limit there free range area with a premiere 1 hen pen-(nonelectric).

It is NOT a predator proof enclosure, it is only to contain the chickens , but so far after a couple of months, I’d give it a thumbs up.

Fencing all of your garden areas and still making it attractive can be prohibitively expensive because chickens, it turns out are much smarter than we expected and they have great memories of things they like to eat, or just chop down for the fun of it.

Mine had several acres to wander over - plus the neighbours 3+ acre lawn, but they always seemed to be in my herb garden, flower beds or mulched banks, on my porch. So they have now be confined to a free range area to keep them out of unwanted places (electric - so a bit more expensive). Much easier to keep them in somewhere than try and fence them out of everywhere you don't want them.

Your chickens did that? Who showed them how to run a lawn mower? :lol:

Sorry about your flower beds, but without something to keep the birds away from them, everything in the yard is fair game.

You could try the garden fencing or containing the birds to a specific area of the yard.

They are smart! Darn! Well we shall see how much they really want the hostas once I put this fencing up. We have 3 acres and since moving here recently, it is not fenced. Our last home had an acre of split rail with wire mesh inside of it that we installed but that takes time to get to. They don’t want to stay in their coop on nice days....they spit fire at me. I’m hoping they will wander to other areas that aren’t important to me with the fence to deter but will wait to buy more in case it doesn’t work. My chickens jumped over 3’ fencing when they really wanted to also so it will be some trial and error. I hope the hostas spring back next year if I can keep them out.

Back
Top Bottom