The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I have had that..and I do not wait to put them in the incubator. I take what the hen is sitting on, and everyone else's...put them in the incubator and take the next days clutch and stick those in the incubator. It will be a smaller hatch, but, better than nothing. I have been fortunate that my hens for the most part stick. I have also found that if I pull the eggs and give them golf balls they stick when they have a nice big group. Some hens just need 7 or 8 eggs for them to kick in and stick. I just use the golf balls for security. If she sets the balls for a good week she gets the eggs out of the incubator.

I would think waiting a week is pushing it in certain circumstances. The ducks do it all the time..but I have not seen the chickens do it very successfully.

Better pics of one of the roos, he is with a barred rock hen for now. SC Horstman.

He is about 8 months old. Opinions?

I went down to try and get some pics of Tanker and his girls. They are closing in on 15 weeks and I am amazed at their size. They are as big as the hens in my laying flock and Tanker is nearly as tall as my free-range mutt rooster.

They are just finishing up on a molt and have feathers everywhere.

Penny

I went down to try and get some pics of Tanker and his girls. They are closing in on 15 weeks and I am amazed at their size. They are as big as the hens in my laying flock and Tanker is nearly as tall as my free-range mutt rooster. They are just finishing up on a molt and have feathers everywhere. Penny
. Beautiful! And wow 15 wks! Nice color.

My RIR, Shelby is now 6.5 months. However she seems to have stopped growing. Her comb is not coming in. She looks the same as she did at 4.5 months. Do you think she is just a late bloomer, or is this standard, or am I just an old worrier. Please make me feel good.

Those hens are difinetly production. You can get heritage strains from breeders or order some hatching eggs from someone on here. Producion Reds rarely go broody, however the heritage strains tend too.

Code:
I'm not sure what Heritage lines you are referring to but I have 2 of them and neither go broody. One of the lines has never gone broody and the other will on rare occasion but won't set full term. The only pure (Heritage) breed that i have that truly goes broody is Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have 6 Heritage breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom