The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

The Urch line is a pretty good line . Glad you are getting some chicks from Greg and look forward to seeking what they look like this fall. Thanks for posting.bob

Last edited:
The cockeral came from D. Urch I've been told that his back is to short and he isn't brick shaped enough. I whistled real load for him to stop so I could get the picture. When I did he went into alert mode and streched his neck up. I think this makes him look even worst. I have three hens also from Urch. Two have great color, only one of them has that real straight back line you mentioned, the other has that pillow on her lower back. They were kept with too many other chickens in two small of an area by the person I bought them from ( not Urch). They suffered from their tail feathers having been chewed upon. The third hen has good shape, but her color isn't even, she is slightly mottled. I ordered 25 chicks from Greg Chamness and hope to get them before long.
Meanwhile I'm practicing my hatching skills out with what I have. I set 18 eggs, then one week later set 16 more, and one week later set another 16 eggs. So far I've hatched 16 of the first 18 set, and 14 of the first 16 eggs set. The last 16 will hatch this coming Wed. These were the first eggs I've ever tried to hatch and I'm happy with my success.

That is a very good hatch rate. In my opinion Its also the first good sign of a line. There are a couple of lines, or flocks from certain lines i should say that are hard to hatch, which means they need help.

Boy what a surprise thanks Kathy for posting this picture. Now there is no doubt about it this is the correct shade or hue of color for the true original old fashion HERITAGE Rhode Island Red like grandma and great grandpa use to have.

When I talk about quill color look at the quill on your birds pull out a feather like these and hold up in the air to the light. If it is almost black that is the barometer of color for your birds.

Thanks so much. bob

I'm just starting my own flock of Heritage RIRs and the rooster I keep got injured and isn't doing very well so I'm looking for another one. I have no idea where to get a TRUE Heritage one, so I thought this thread my be a good place to post for one. I'm very new to BYC and not very familiar with the site, so if I'm in the wrong place, please advise. Thanks! I'm also looking for TRUE Barnevelders, too!

I'm just starting my own flock of Heritage RIRs and the rooster I keep got injured and isn't doing very well so I'm looking for another one. I have no idea where to get a TRUE Heritage one, so I thought this thread my be a good place to post for one. I'm very new to BYC and not very familiar with the site, so if I'm in the wrong place, please advise. Thanks! I'm also looking for TRUE Barnevelders, too!
Where did you get the Heritage RIR that you already have? Where do you live?

I can't help you as far as a roo but if you remember what your lines are or where you got them, it would be best to contact same person and see if you can get another roo. If you know what blood lines they are from maybe someone on here can help you out. Mine are all peeps except one line and like you I only have one cockerel with 9 pullets.

I live in Lindon, Utah. I just got the pair I have from a friend so I have no idea the linage. I'm not necessarily interested in show quality, just want them for my own breeding programs I have going but would really like to get another roo since all that's sold in my area are production reds that are called RIR.

Back
Top Bottom