The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I buy bags of the sweet grains from TSC which is rolled oats i believe cracked corn and molasses. Then i add all flock, ultra kibble and oyster shell. Fill it just over the dry food with water, mix then add Braggs Raw Organic ACV with mother in it. Heinz just released a ACV Ith mother in it but i still perfer the original. If im making a fresh batch ill let that soak for about 48 hours. Sometimes less. Its supposed to be covered with a corner cracked to allow air exchange. Stir it once or twice while its fermenting. You start to see bubbles and the lid will have condensation on the bottom. I believe thats alchol? But anyway, once you see the bubbles you should be good to go.

Then i almost always refill the feed in the bucket once ive used about %75 percent of the fermented mash. And that way you dont have to add more ACV. All the good bacteria is still in the remaining mash.

Feel like im talking to much lol

Hope that helps anyone who didnt know
big_smile.png

Michael

Thank you, Michael. So we don't take over the thread, if you have time, could you PM me the benefits of FF? I'm already an ACV believer.

Thank you for the kind comments
hugs.gif

I never thought finding a good red Orp would take so long Deek!
Yes, they are bantams Goose & Fig, that made my red quest even harder! Sadly don't know what colour Violet was as a chick, as I bought her as a young pullet. Her parents were chocolate & blue, if that's any help. If I speak to her breeder, I'll ask about chick colour for you.
Good luck with your breeding!! x
smile.png

Last edited:
I am a member of a different board where fermenting feed is being discussed. Is it time consuming? Where do you store yours?
In the winter i store it in the spare bedroom or kitchen if DH is gone for the week. Otherwise it is outside. it is not time consuming once you get started.In the winter is is a little more of a pain because you can't store it outside.

For warm weather I just have a large bucket with 1/4 inch holes drilled in the bottom and sides, it is inserted in another bucket. I just dump my feed in the top bucket and add water to keep the feed covered. It takes a few days to get things going. I will add UPACV to get it going but not usually. I have chopped up head of cabbage or a bag of Kale and tossed that in with my feed, and used that to get the fermentation going well also. Huge eggs, beautiful thick feathers. Heavy birds on less feed.(Except my English eat like horses)

I start raised bed of wheat grass. It grows a bit every time we get some mild weather, plus its nice to see some green out there in winter. Haven't used layer crumble in weeks. Just whole grains.

New girl for our mauve pen, one of Renie's chicks via Contrastphoto.
Gorgeous girl!!! x

Congrats, she's a lovely addition x
It looks like she's looking at the feather and thinking, 'Dang, when did that fall out!'
big_smile.png

Will let you know about the colour :) x

Last edited:
Sorry, newbie questions again....what is a mauve? What colors are used to create them?

How about chocolate cuckoo? Can a lemon cuckoo be used over a chocolate girl or would a regular cuckoo be better?

FF is great. The chickens really like it...even my day olds clean their plates. I've also noticed larger eggs and shiny feathers. They drink less water and the feed bill is cut almost in half.
smile.png
I crossed a cuckoo male over choc females, I have black and reg cuckoos. The cuckoo males will be splits and can cross back on choc females next year for choc cuckoos. I don't know about the lemon cuckoos. I think a manue is a choc and blue or splash cross.

I start raised bed of wheat grass. It grows a bit every time we get some mild weather, plus its nice to see some green out there in winter. Haven't used layer crumble in weeks. Just whole grains.

New girl for our mauve pen, one of Renie's chicks via Contrastphoto.

Thank you for posting her picture.. she looks good... nice lacing and full skirt :)

Back
Top Bottom