The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

First,
welcome-byc.gif
You picked a great thread to get your feet wet in, I'm sure you'll become English Orp obsessed in no time!
wink.png

Genetically they are the same color, Crele, which is a partridge base with barring... there are many mock examples of Crele but the only way to have a true breeding bird that exhibits the same color pattern generation after generation is by breeding barred partridge birds. In some breeds of chicken Black Breasted Red (BBR) is used in place of the partridge base and yields a similar result.

The difference between the males and females is males have 2 copies of the barring gene and females only have one. Males appear a lighter color than the females for this reason. "Legbar" is just a hobby name associated with the color. Similar to "Jubilee" which essentially are just Mille Fleur birds with the mahogany gene to deepen the ground color from gold to deep red.

I believe what Marc meant to say was that hens can never be double barred like their male counterparts, there are female Legbar Orpingtons, so you easily can call a hen a Legbar... or I could call them a duckbar or even a purple polka dotted ostrichbar, but genetically that doesn't change the "recipe" for what it really is.

Male Crele/Legbar Orpington.
l1060493a.jpg

Female Crele/Legbar Orpington.
100_0110.jpg
Absolutely love the body type on these

Daisy was getting jealous. Ha!

She really is a sweet little chicken.

Cute pic
I have enjoyed the tour with my coffee this morning. I have got to get busy though. I cook for 40 to 50 folks every Wed. nite. Chicken enchiladas tonite. I already have the Salsa made. One cake and chicken cooked.
I want to see more of the chicks you got from Irene when you can take more pics. I love the Black one

Here's a pic of my first Red Orp chick and he (obviously a roo) at 5 weeks old.

Lovely baby! I love this whimsical, and adorable stage.

Here's the same egg next to one of my standard sized Jubilee eggs. Ouch!!! That had to hurt. This thing is like a goose egg.

Ouch! poor little girl.. It looks like a 3-4 yolker.

Thank you Renie!!!!
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

I love them!!!!

The Lacing Looks good already!!

Daisy was getting jealous. Ha!

She really is a sweet little chicken.

Your babies are beautiful, Michael! You are so lucky to have them.

Last edited:
First,
welcome-byc.gif
You picked a great thread to get your feet wet in, I'm sure you'll become English Orp obsessed in no time!
wink.png

Genetically they are the same color, Crele, which is a partridge base with barring... there are many mock examples of Crele but the only way to have a true breeding bird that exhibits the same color pattern generation after generation is by breeding barred partridge birds. In some breeds of chicken Black Breasted Red (BBR) is used in place of the partridge base and yields a similar result.

The difference between the males and females is males have 2 copies of the barring gene and females only have one. Males appear a lighter color than the females for this reason. "Legbar" is just a hobby name associated with the color. Similar to "Jubilee" which essentially are just Mille Fleur birds with the mahogany gene to deepen the ground color from gold to deep red.

I believe what Marc meant to say was that hens can never be double barred like their male counterparts, there are female Legbar Orpingtons, so you easily can call a hen a Legbar... or I could call them a duckbar or even a purple polka dotted ostrichbar, but genetically that doesn't change the "recipe" for what it really is.

l1060493a.jpg

100_0110.jpg
Jeremy OMG those r gorgeous and very typey. I didn't even like crele(legbar) til I seen these, R these your birds cause if so how do I get on the list? Seriously?
droolin.gif

First,
welcome-byc.gif
wink.png

l1060493a.jpg

100_0110.jpg
wow incredable birds.you should be soooooooooo proud of the work you do.

Back
Top Bottom