The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

the above hen is one that I got from a gal who bought and hatched eggs From Joy a few years ago, from Joys first bunch of imported English stock. I have had her for a couple years now. the below pic is what I just hatched out of one her eggs. by a large but young black cockerel that came from Bama chickens eggs. I hope its a girl!

Whoa! That looks like one chunky chick
lol.png
Nice!

Thank you for the support, I am going to try. I know it is a long road with the trial breedings but I really think it will be worth it in the end. At least 50% of his boys should be pure black right?
I will keep everyone post on the progress this fall
smile.png
I believe that is correct Nellie.

Thanks for all the Mothers day wishes on here. Mine was a Awesome Weekend. I had six of my nine Grands here Since Friday. Lots of swimming, Eating, Fishing, Swimming and more eating. We all Worshipped together this morning. Couldn't have been any better.
I do know about the food coma. We caught 43 Bream in about 1 hr and 45 min Sat morning. The grandkids were having a blast and the girls were even baiting there own hooks. Came home and the guys got hem ready to cook and we had a fish fry with some good ole Cheese Grits and awesome hushpuppies and coleslaw. It is really quite around here now except for the chicks peeping the laundry room
Hope everyone else had a great weekend

the above hen is one that I got from a gal who bought and hatched eggs From Joy a few years ago, from Joys first bunch of imported English stock. I have had her for a couple years now. the below pic is what I just hatched out of one her eggs. by a large but young black cockerel that came from Bama chickens eggs. I hope its a girl!
Whoa! That looks like one chunky chick :lol: Nice!
Thank You everyone, I appreciate the nice words,. Julie that blue hen is the mother to the black pullet in my profile pic too. by Hoss. she is the mother to the chunky chic also, and I think you guys just named her lol Chunky. I am hoping its a she and if the wing feather thing works at all, she already has pin feathers in her wings at two days old. :D I marked the blacks eggs and banded them as they hatched, along with the blue hens that I know were her eggs.

Looking very good!! I see a cockerel or two!! yaaaay!

A few of these guys have legs like tree trunks! A friend said are you sure these aren't ostriches, their feet are huge! Lol.. Told her they were going to need those big legs and feet to support some big boys!

yes they will!! I cant believe sometimes, how big a chick is that pops out of the smallest egg. and the legs on them! I had one pip thru the very end of the egg, right thru the air cell, I figured it wold drown and not make it, it was an egg from the marc sacre pullet. I was so bummed... it stayed like that overnight and half the next day but could see a tiny piece of shell moving in and out so I left it alone, was watching one hatch and suddenly that one, with no zipping at all, gave a mighty shove and popped the entire end of the egg right off and tumbled out! haha I was shocked! mostly because I have never seen one not zip and secondly because I was watching when it did it. I stared at it until it was a little stronger, grabbed it quick and banded it and put it back, I DID not want to lose track of that one lol. it was huge too, hope its a cockerel !

Melodie_a you are going to just love those Roger babies..sweet tempered beautiful birds.....congrats on such a good hatch !....they are A joy to own..Mine are out grazing this morning thou its very cold and they have a heated hut, they are out, and they dont care ..they are feathered out now..I just LOVE them..I will try to get a few pics this afternoon..I have 2 babys hatching today so having fun checking on that....

Last edited:
yes they will!! I cant believe sometimes, how big a chick is that pops out of the smallest egg. and the legs on them! I had one pip thru the very end of the egg, right thru the air cell, I figured it wold drown and not make it, it was an egg from the marc sacre pullet. I was so bummed... it stayed like that overnight and half the next day but could see a tiny piece of shell moving in and out so I left it alone, was watching one hatch and suddenly that one, with no zipping at all, gave a mighty shove and popped the entire end of the egg right off and tumbled out! haha I was shocked! mostly because I have never seen one not zip and secondly because I was watching when it did it. I stared at it until it was a little stronger, grabbed it quick and banded it and put it back, I DID not want to lose track of that one lol. it was huge too, hope its a cockerel !

WOW! That must have been something to see..last year one of mine broke out like a galdiator..it didnt zip, it smashed one side of the shell wall ..it was loud too ..looked like it had sledge hammer..on the contrary, the baby buffs are so quiet that you wake up peek in on them and they are looking back at you from the hatcher..I usually wake up must be the mothering instinct in women if they hear any kind of baby distress.LOL...But those are very stealthy..quietly zip out..take thier good sweet time too..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom