The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

thank you Delisha! Our Orps placed after a buff. Boo! Judge said, 'too much fluff' whaaaa? I say, NO such thing! I LOVE my fat bottomed girls.
big_smile.png
That is what I have been hearing alot lately "to much fluff" "To many feathers" Blaah blaah blaah! I don't understand that either the standard says for them to have lots of fluff!!

I think some judges may not know what they are doing maybe they are used to seeing more american type orps
hu.gif

Last edited:
That is what I have been hearing alot lately "to much fluff" "To many feathers" Blaah blaah blaah! I don't understand that either the standard says for them to have lots of fluff!!

I think some judges may not know what they are doing maybe they are used to seeing more american type orps
hu.gif
ALL Orps in the US are judged by the APA Standard of Perfection. Neither the British, nor the APA standard call for extreme length of fluff. The APA standard says that the massive look should not be secured by extreme lengths of feather. The British standard also says that Orps should not resemble Cochins in length or fullness of feathering.

Unless, and until, British bred Orps are recognized as a second breed in the US, they will be shown under the SOP of the APA. If you are going to show successfully, you have to breed to the standard in use.

I agree it sould not be too long but it should be thick
Are you talking about the skirt and petticoat fluff ? The SOP calls for full but not profuse feathering. The principal things English type Orps will be docked over here for are cushions like Cochins, lacking stiff main tail feathers, and over profuse length, and thickness of fluff.

Have you read and studied BOTH standards ? You will notice that they are quite similar.There is a fad in England right now with over done Cochin like birds. They do NOT fit the English standard, but some are winning. NOT in Europe however. They have stuck more to the standard.

I think a hundred years from now..the 2 will be blended and will lean more toward the english birds the market will dictate trends......

It is a judges job to choose the bird that is closer to the standard description of orpington.......It is just what judges are supposed to do...dont take any of it personal......its not an easy job for a judge .. eventually the birds will have thier rightful place as by the popularity of the english orps says they arnt going anywhere..and they are very valuable in many ways.. ,..it shouldnt be a thing that seperates poultry owners ..the time will come when it wont........plus you said the birds were a little immature at show time..its best to show them after 10 months if you can....having said that ,fashion dictates the market..eventually the the popularity of english orps for thier beauty, asthetics ect. make them a wanted item.........they are very popular with the people, if they had a peoples choice , the english orp would win .......I personally will work more toward the standard..but keep the english beefiness.

Last edited:
Quote: The fluff should be in line with the tail giving them that 'U Shape" and the fluff should be as wide (that is what I meant by thick) as the widest part on their back which should be their shoulders...I know it does not say those exect words in the standards but I have seen enough show winning birds and that seems to be what most judges look for.

The fluff should be in line with the tail giving them that 'U Shape" and the fluff should be as wide (that is what I meant by thick) as the widest part on their back which should be their shoulders...I know it does not say those exect words in the standards but I have seen enough show winning birds and that seems to be what most judges look for.
Walt is not most judges. He is a master breeder and exhibitor many times over, as well as having judged many top shows, year after year. I think you are mistaking cushion for fluff in this discussion by your above description. Nowhere in either Orp standard do I see U Shape mentioned . Orps are not Langashans.

Back
Top Bottom