The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I'd have to say to avoid the gold leakage in the 1st lav orp. (unless it's just dirt from the ground.... dust bathing)
I'm not sure about the barred roo.
The other lav looks OK. Many times you have to keep them until full maturity to see all the pros and cons.
Thanks for the input!
Yeah, that is leakage. I’m probably going to avoid him for breeding.
Ok, thanks. I won’t make any decisions until they’re mature.

Hi folks! I'm new to breeding English Orpingtons, and I need help deciding which cockerel to keep for breeding. If any one wants to give me their opinion, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks!
best-english-orpington-cockerel-for-breeding.1415880

Unless there is an automatic cull, like the leakage in number one, I'd hang onto them until they are at least 6-9 months. The English males are slow to mature and fill out.

#1 - Not impressed with the brassy/gold/straw leakage he's showing. I wouldn't use him for breeding.

#2 - Appears to be a Lavender Cuckoo? I'd hang on to him just to see what he looks like when he matures.

#3 - He's okay, but nothing super gorgeous. Are you breeding for American-type or English-type? Neither of the Lavenders appears to be English. They seem much more American in body shape.

I'd have to say to avoid the gold leakage in the 1st lav orp. (unless it's just dirt from the ground.... dust bathing)
I'm not sure about the barred roo.
The other lav looks OK. Many times you have to keep them until full maturity to see all the pros and cons.

I agree.

So far he's looking good. If you just want a sweet docile roo, a laced orp is the way to go. (Even if you don't breed) You'll grow more amazed each day of their gentle nature.

Also agree. I've loved each of my English Orpington males.

Unless there is an automatic cull, like the leakage in number one, I'd hang onto them until they are at least 6-9 months. The English males are slow to mature and fill out.

#1 - Not impressed with the brassy/gold/straw leakage he's showing. I wouldn't use him for breeding.

#2 - Appears to be a Lavender Cuckoo? I'd hang on to him just to see what he looks like when he matures.

#3 - He's okay, but nothing super gorgeous. Are you breeding for American-type or English-type? Neither of the Lavenders appears to be English. They seem much more American in body shape.

I agree.
Thanks for your input!
So it wouldn’t be worth holding onto 1. to see what he turns out like?

Ok, thanks, I’ll hold onto him.

Alright.
I’m breeding for English type. I got hatching eggs off of a seller on Craigslist, so I know I’m probably going to have to do some selective breeding and culling.
Do you think I could make this work? I’ll post pictures of the pullets. I could try to find a different cockerel, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to.

I have a question for you all... I have a 5 month old blue rooster, who has grown very fast... and he sits a lot. He walks like his joints hurt... or he is suffering from growing pains. He eats with the rest of the girls and is eating layena crumbles. Has anyone had an eng. orp cockerel grow so fast that this has happened?
He can run, and hunt bugs, and all the normal stuff... just also sits quite a bit. The splash hen is the same age. Blue Rooster.jpg

Attachments

• Blue Rooster.jpg
    Blue Rooster.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 0
I have a question for you all... I have a 5 month old blue rooster, who has grown very fast... and he sits a lot. He walks like his joints hurt... or he is suffering from growing pains. He eats with the rest of the girls and is eating layena crumbles. Has anyone had an eng. orp cockerel grow so fast that this has happened?
He can run, and hunt bugs, and all the normal stuff... just also sits quite a bit. The splash hen is the same age.View attachment 2337812
I think I know what you mean. It could be growing pains. My cockerels are often lazy..... lazy..... then play, run, mate, eat .... back to lazy, lazy, etc. I've even seen them just sit down on the spot after walking a while. Never any limps or real cause for worry - just lazy. I also worried about their joints when I saw this behavior last year, but they grew out of it by the time they were adults. Perhaps they just increased their endurance.

I think I know what you mean. It could be growing pains. My cockerels are often lazy..... lazy..... then play, run, mate, eat .... back to lazy, lazy, etc. I've even seen them just sit down on the spot after walking a while. Never any limps or real cause for worry - just lazy. I also worried about their joints when I saw this behavior last year, but they grew out of it by the time they were adults. Perhaps they just increased t
I think I know what you mean. It could be growing pains. My cockerels are often lazy..... lazy..... then play, run, mate, eat .... back to lazy, lazy, etc. I've even seen them just sit down on the spot after walking a while. Never any limps or real cause for worry - just lazy. I also worried about their joints when I saw this behavior last year, but they grew out of it by the time they were adults. Perhaps they just increased their endurance.
I'm glad yours out grew it. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him...I've picked him up and inspected him head to toe...no swell, no warmth, no bumble foot...hearty appetite (omg).... So maybe since he's not growing as fast now, perhaps he'll feel better too. 👍

I heard my 5 month old blue roo start up this morning for the first time. I'm not sure if he's staying or going yet, as we're not supposed to have roosters in our particular area.... :oops:

He can run, and hunt bugs, and all the normal stuff... just also sits quite a bit.

I experienced some similar issues with my first few sets of English orpingtons I was growing out. I switched from a standard chick starter to a broiler starter with higher protein. That seemed to help with the leg issues I'd been having. It also helps them feather out.

Thanks for your input!
So it wouldn’t be worth holding onto 1. to see what he turns out like?

Ok, thanks, I’ll hold onto him.

Alright.
I’m breeding for English type. I got hatching eggs off of a seller on Craigslist, so I know I’m probably going to have to do some selective breeding and culling.
Do you think I could make this work? I’ll post pictures of the pullets. I could try to find a different cockerel, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to.

I wouldn't hold onto the Lavender male with leakage. He'll pass that on to his offspring. There isn't a problem with him, per say, but if you're looking to breed towards the proposed breed standard I wouldn't use him. The other two I'd hold onto until they mature. Remember that you'll want to cross some Blacks and normal Cuckoo pullets into the flocks in order to maintain good feathering (helping to eliminate the "shredder gene" that often happens when breeding Lavender x Lavender. That will probably also help with type if you can bring in some large, English, un-related birds.

So I had the whole breeding flock tested yesterday for P/T and had the state come out to inspect the facilities for an additional TAHC certification. With both of those, I'll be able to sell to the public and ship eggs. I'm waiting on the paperwork now, but I'll be ready to sell at the Poultry Trades Day next weekend. I'm pretty excited to be able to attend. i have some great ideas for my booth, so I'll be sure to get lots of pictures once I'm set up. I just hope that I can get most of the birds sold that I'm bringing.

I wouldn't hold onto the Lavender male with leakage. He'll pass that on to his offspring. There isn't a problem with him, per say, but if you're looking to breed towards the proposed breed standard I wouldn't use him. The other two I'd hold onto until they mature. Remember that you'll want to cross some Blacks and normal Cuckoo pullets into the flocks in order to maintain good feathering (helping to eliminate the "shredder gene" that often happens when breeding Lavender x Lavender. That will probably also help with type if you can bring in some large, English, un-related birds.
Ok, thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.
I’ll try to find some quality pullets.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom