The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

WA4-Hpoultrymom,I really like Sterling's color. I hope to hatch a male with similar coloring.

Red Reiner, I think you should totally follow Bob's advice and breed her back to her father. It would be awesome if you could start producing a Blue Partridge line!!! Just something else to pine over... :lol:

her father is no longer with us :( but I know where I can find splash english boys!! lol

her father is no longer with us :( but I know where I can find splash english boys!! lol

Did he die?

I think you would need to breed her back to her father because he is the one carrying the recessive Partridge genes. Breeding her to another male won't have the same effect... again, I think. You probably could use another male because she now is carrying the genes you want, it will just be a longer road this way.

I wouldn't suggest outcrossing to a different breed, especially those mentioned above. They all have yellow skin/legs. Breeding the yellow out due to it's recessive nature can take many, many generations. Even when you think you've bred the yellow out it sometime pops up to haunt you.

I'd stick with your original plan, find a nice typey Splash English boy and start there. It will take lots of hatching to get what you want but when you do it'll be so worth it!

I wouldn't suggest outcrossing to a different breed, especially those mentioned above. They all have yellow skin/legs. Breeding the yellow out due to it's recessive nature can take many, many generations. Even when you think you've bred the yellow out it sometime pops up to haunt you.
I'd stick with your original plan, find a nice typey Splash English boy and start there. It will take lots of hatching to get what you want but when you do it'll be so worth it!

Agreed- the yellow is a bad thing...I just had it pop up in a very surprising breeding, myself! No idea where it came from, as I've had my stock for years. I'd see if Julie can approximate a related Blue or Splash boy who MAY possibly have the gene from the same source as the one you had. Perhaps he had a sibling.

Jeremy, very sorry to hear about your juvie losses- I was holding myself back from asking you for one of those many boys...now I wish I'd jumped on it.

Did he die?

I think you would need to breed her back to her father because he is the one carrying the recessive Partridge genes. Breeding her to another male won't have the same effect... again, I think. You probably could use another male because she now is carrying the genes you want, it will just be a longer road this way.

You could also consider a Partridge Cochin, Wyandotte etc. The feathered legs takes about two generations to breed out.

I am one that feels crossing with another breed gets you an entirely different breed in the end. its no longer and orpington if its half wyandotte to me. Its just as easy to find a nice splash that is related to the original sire, and quite possibly the grandsire to use. Julie would be able to answer that for me. I am not set up with many breeding pens to make frankenchickens lol. I will stick with trying within the orp breed, if it doesnt work it doesnt work. so be it. Good advice on the genetics has already helped a ton. Jeremy is right on the rest of trying to breed out the other traits.

Did he die?

he didnt belong to me and I am not sure where he went but my friend no longer has him. maybe Julie can tell me who his sire was, he is a splash that she sent out here to washington. I have a plan already though. :)

Back
Top Bottom