The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Michael, She is a cutie.

Thanks Alton!
thumbsup.gif

New to BYC. Hope I'm doing this right....

Love the Crele/Legbar Orps RockinPaints.

Can you tell me the difference (if any) in the Crele and Legbar coloration?

First,
welcome-byc.gif
You picked a great thread to get your feet wet in, I'm sure you'll become English Orp obsessed in no time!
wink.png

Hi,

Crele is the cuckoo variety of partridge. Legbar is the name for a rooster that has 2 barring genes. Just a name given to these double barred roosters.
Hens can never be legbar.

Marc

Genetically they are the same color, Crele, which is a partridge base with barring... there are many mock examples of Crele but the only way to have a true breeding bird that exhibits the same color pattern generation after generation is by breeding barred partridge birds. In some breeds of chicken Black Breasted Red (BBR) is used in place of the partridge base and yields a similar result.

The difference between the males and females is males have 2 copies of the barring gene and females only have one. Males appear a lighter color than the females for this reason. "Legbar" is just a hobby name associated with the color. Similar to "Jubilee" which essentially are just Mille Fleur birds with the mahogany gene to deepen the ground color from gold to deep red.

I believe what Marc meant to say was that hens can never be double barred like their male counterparts, there are female Legbar Orpingtons, so you easily can call a hen a Legbar... or I could call them a duckbar or even a purple polka dotted ostrichbar, but genetically that doesn't change the "recipe" for what it really is.

Male Crele/Legbar Orpington.
l1060493a.jpg

Female Crele/Legbar Orpington.
100_0110.jpg

Last edited:
First,
welcome-byc.gif
You picked a great thread to get your feet wet in, I'm sure you'll become English Orp obsessed in no time!
wink.png

Genetically they are the same color, Crele, which is a partridge base with barring... there are many mock examples of Crele but the only way to have a true breeding bird that exhibits the same color pattern generation after generation is by breeding barred partridge birds. In some breeds of chicken Black Breasted Red (BBR) is used in place of the partridge base and yields a similar result.

The difference between the males and females is males have 2 copies of the barring gene and females only have one. Males appear a lighter color than the females for this reason. "Legbar" is just a hobby name associated with the color. Similar to "Jubilee" which essentially are just Mille Fleur birds with the mahogany gene to deepen the ground color from gold to deep red.

I believe what Marc meant to say was that hens can never be double barred like their male counterparts, there are female Legbar Orpingtons, so you easily can call a hen a Legbar... or I could call them a duckbar or even a purple polka dotted ostrichbar, but genetically that doesn't change the "recipe" for what it really is.

l1060493a.jpg

100_0110.jpg

Wow Jeremy, Those are nice. Put me on the list. Please.

First,
welcome-byc.gif
wink.png

l1060493a.jpg

100_0110.jpg
Hi Jeremy,

Indeed, that's what I meant. But I think we should stick with the names that the original breeders gave them. Once again, a legbar hen does not exist since she will never have the legbar or duck wing pattern of a double barred crele rooster.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom