The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Got a question.  My orps been broody for the last 2+ month.  Finally decided to stick a couple of eggs under them and hopefully get them out of this broodiness.  Well yesterday noticed that 2 out of my 3 hens has lost so much weight from refusing to leave the nest to eat.:eek:   Is this normal? 

yes and if they are broody for to long they will die. they do not eat very much while trying to set. I wont let mine go more than 4 weeks with eggs, I had to replace my current broodies egg a week into it as she broke one all over the others, so switched them with some fresh ones, its week 4 for her and she has one hatched, day 23.... I personally would break them and make them eat or your risking them dying from starvation

ETA: if they have been broody for almost two month, go buy some tiny baby chicks, and switch them in the night for the eggs, they usually get happy and think they hatched them and return to being momma and eating again

Last edited:
yes and if they are broody for to long they will die. they do not eat very much while trying to set. I wont let mine go more than 4 weeks with eggs, I had to replace my current broodies egg a week into it as she broke one all over the others, so switched them with some fresh ones, its week 4 for her and she has one hatched, day 23.... I personally would break them and make them eat or your risking them dying from starvation

ETA: if they have been broody for almost two month, go buy some tiny baby chicks, and switch them in the night for the eggs, they usually get happy and think they hatched them and return to being momma and eating again

Thank you for the info! Being first time chicken owner I don't have a clue what is normal or not. I did stick some silkie eggs under them and if everything works out, they should hatch in the next couple of days. Maybe then I will have some fat orps again.

Thank you for the info!  Being first time chicken owner I don't have a clue what is normal or not.  I did stick some silkie eggs under them and if everything works out, they should hatch in the next couple of days.   Maybe then I will have some fat orps again. 

best of luck, hope they hatch for you!! I try to keep food and water as close to them as I can so they dont even have to get up. my current broody did eat some sweet feed right in front of her but never did get up and eat any chicken feed.

Hello EO experts! I reside mostly on the BYC Indiana Thread where Kiniska advised me to ask this thread for advice. I have five pet hens and would like two more since I give eggs to my neighbors and relatives. Because I only have room for an additional two, I decided to pay more to buy a Jubilee and a Blue. I have been communicating with chickenridge who lives 4 hours away and I like the idea of being able to drive there and pick them up. chickenridgefarm.com She has a two month old Blue pullet, but the Jubilee is 5 weeks old so she doesn't want to guarantee that it is a pullet. I am posting these photos to see what your experienced EO members think. Thank you so much for your time and interest.

cjickenridge said: This is not a very good picture. I plan to get better ones today and poor little chick is going through the grow out, not so cute phase! LOL She's very healthy, still living in the house! Also my stock is NPIP certified. :)

I have the 5 week old Jubilee Pullet in with the week old Jubilees and 1 Maran, they are doing great. These Orpingtons are very gentle.
Jubilee Orpington. This is the 5 week old

Have a nice day! LOL

Hello EO experts! I reside mostly on the BYC Indiana Thread where Kiniska advised me to ask this thread for advice. I have five pet hens and would like two more since I give eggs to my neighbors and relatives. Because I only have room for an additional two, I decided to pay more to buy a Jubilee and a Blue. I have been communicating with chickenridge who lives 4 hours away and I like the idea of being able to drive there and pick them up. chickenridgefarm.com She has a two month old Blue pullet, but the Jubilee is 5 weeks old so she doesn't want to guarantee that it is a pullet. I am posting these photos to see what your experienced EO members think. Thank you so much for your time and interest.
I can tell you without any doubt, this is a cockerel. Also, I would advise you to remove the 5 week old away from the smaller chicks. He may seem docile for now, but he will soon hurt the smaller chicks. It's just chicken nature.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I am back to square one. What to do now...

Phantom Rooster~(Those pictures were from the owner.)

Thanks for everyone's input!! I will check back to see if anyone else comments.

Phantom Rooster~ No, you didn't offend anyone. You have more experience that the owner. I appreciate your help. I'm just tired and disappointed that my bubble burst. : - )

Back
Top Bottom