The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

dont you use the processor Harry?.. for about a buck a bird they come out clean as can be all packed and labled ..not so much as a pin feather..we raised some meat birds time to time..

im having a little trouble understanding why this is a problem?.. you guys go through your trials and breeding things that happen..we will go through our trials and adventures..is there some problem there? even julie found a stubb and it was at a show..not that big a deal i dont think anyway..i think its all fun and rewarding..money means nothing to me..happiness means everything..i dont feel the need to prove anything to anyone but me and the lord above..if somethings bothering you ..please feel free to say so..it wont bother me..but what i spend shouldnt upset you..you might be suprised that there actually are some very nice top breeders out there..one is 18 time sydney royal winner..he gives people a hand up..and not just his trusted chums..he wants whats best for next generation not just selfish needs..he is the reason that his breed is so popular today..

Last edited:
Well I cull for just one stub. Perhaps I am culling too crucial but I want to make sure I correct the defect to the slightist amount. They may still pop up again but if not to cull hard maybe every bird will have them eventually. I had very few issues with my blacks this year only two so far with one with one stub and another with feathers between the toes. The whites on the other hand have stubs and feathers between the toes and then there is the dark legs which is an easy defect to correct. Just if everyone would test mate their males the dark legs would never show up because that can be eliminated very easily with minimal efforts.
I finally got my ORP blacks I believe to be E/E extended blacks so they are just about where I want them. I want all my chicks to come out like they are from the same mold not helter-skelter looking hatches. I had to cull my black ameraucanas because they had chicks that did not meet the down standards for blacks.

So I am not really disappointed with my Orps, sorry if I gave that impression just try to help others to watch what directions they could lead to.

I really don't want to kill any more animals only if absolutely necessary so slaughtering is not an option for me at this time.

how long do your dark legs last? i have had 1 that later turned solid white..it can be worked out..your advise is always welcome and appreciated..but you have to remember..i wasnt exactly treated very well so if i ask someone other than you...you can understand..i get the feeling that there is something else bothering you..

Last edited:
My Partridge don't have any feathering on their legs. They are a bit smaller than the whites and Jubilees. Two of the whites have a few feathers on their legs. GFF said that might happen. I've researched the Jubilees and currently none have excessive white either. I do enjoy reading about what they should look like.

My Partridge don't have any feathering on their legs. They are a bit smaller than the whites and Jubilees. Two of the whites have a few feathers on their legs. GFF said that might happen. I've researched the Jubilees and currently none have excessive white either. I do enjoy reading about what they should look like.
the white orpington fell to critically low numbers pretty much world wide..a few breeders kept them but not enough..breeders had to take some drastic measures to save them both sides of the pond..americans added rock and wyandotte europeans added some flat sidded cochin and a few other things..i had to ask what a flat sided cochin was it is a breeder cull that worked for them without overwhelming the bird..different schools of thought heading to the same goal..stubs show up time to time even in the best..but are pretty easy to get rid of..

how long do your dark legs last? i have had 1 that later turned solid white..it can be worked out..i get the feeling that there is something else bothering you..
Sometimes they hatch white and turn to a greyish hue. Your birds came from a different source. The ones I have got so many different genes I will have to try and research for which color is the best to keep for pure whites, my opinion is the various greys would be the best. I toe punched the yellow ones because I believe they will turn yellow later on. I had my Ammerril line down to the chick down color being grey with the cuckoo spot markings. These chicks come in so many down colors that it is throwing me off which ones with white legs to keep. I had one chick as black almost as a real cuckoo chick to be moulting out pure white but had black/dark legs. I have them hatch from pure white, yellow, orangish, grey, very light grey, orangish grey, dark grey, dark orangish grey, and then the very dark almost black cuckoo. All were cuckoo marked except the yellow and whites. Plus they have dark legs which can be worked out but I hatched enough that it is not even necessary to keep them. I am fine for next year since I have my original 13# white male and four hens that have white legs. I have the male that is 1/2 import and as long as I have white legged pullets I should be able to raise the males next year and then test mate them the follow season. The pullets will be easy because the dark legged ones will be culled at day old.

Nothing is bothering me really just trying to help others out when they run into this scenerio.

what little i know and it isnt much.beyond type ...the silver quill is the crown jewel..had to ask about this..it is not solid white or cream..it is , well hard to describe..almost very light grey transparent that appears silver..once in a while judge plucks feather takes to the light..the check wing interior for cream ect..tricky..one of them said the chicks with the grey ticking produce some of the best white but always some exception to the rule..some breeders have worked down so well that darn near every chick is white with white legs minimal grey ticking....but once they bring in some other white things get interesting but they talk like they know how to calm that down..im novice..

you have certianly been at this much longer than i..

heres something interesting..im going to use the males to quiet down blue leg that may emerge in the females..so this will be a new wrinkle on the brain.

Last edited:
Can someone direct me to the English Orpington bantam standard? I want to read up while my birds are still young so I can know what birds to select for breeding once they get old enough.
Thank you

I finally am able to post pic's..................
This is Dolly, hatch date 4/12/13............I think, need to check again to be certain.
Not a great picture. It does not show the beautiful color coming in her feathers...........
The white on her chest is mud. She did a great job standing still though.........
Love to hear her run on the wet cement..............You know it is an English Orp when you hear thump, thump, thump,
thump running to you............

Last edited:
Sometimes they hatch white and turn to a greyish hue. Your birds came from a different source. The ones I have got so many different genes I will have to try and research for which color is the best to keep for pure whites, my opinion is the various greys would be the best. I toe punched the yellow ones because I believe they will turn yellow later on. I had my Ammerril line down to the chick down color being grey with the cuckoo spot markings. These chicks come in so many down colors that it is throwing me off which ones with white legs to keep. I had one chick as black almost as a real cuckoo chick to be moulting out pure white but had black/dark legs. I have them hatch from pure white, yellow, orangish, grey, very light grey, orangish grey, dark grey, dark orangish grey, and then the very dark almost black cuckoo. All were cuckoo marked except the yellow and whites. Plus they have dark legs which can be worked out but I hatched enough that it is not even necessary to keep them. I am fine for next year since I have my original 13# white male and four hens that have white legs. I have the male that is 1/2 import and as long as I have white legged pullets I should be able to raise the males next year and then test mate them the follow season. The pullets will be easy because the dark legged ones will be culled at day old.

Nothing is bothering me really just trying to help others out when they run into this scenerio.

Culled, as in killed at a day old for dark legs? Or am I reading that wrong.

Back
Top Bottom