The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

if you have a jubilee roo over blue orps what do u get
I haven't a clue......but
welcome-byc.gif
..I am sure someone will answer you...............

Quote:
I made my white bantam orps using a white splash male orp over half rock and half wyantotte females. I got alot of blue legs, I picked 4 females with white legs and got a new white orp male and crossed over them Every year I kept daughters and bred back to sire for 4 years. Then I got a new male and started over again. I never got all the blue out of my white females legs. The percent went down but always had a few females with blue legs.

So I'm new to this thread and the whole ENG vs SOP thing.  Love the look of the ENG and got them mainly for their look.  My daughters are planning on doing 4H and showing some of our birds.  (We also have a barred rock and aBlack Australorp).  Should they not show our English Orpingtons??????
Show them. There are those that show the ones bred to the UK standard here in the USA and do very well. Don't worry overmuch about it, show and have fun.

I agree with you redrenier so doing the same as Vickie, keeping a line of pure english..I just like and appreciate these birds.gorgeous well thought out birds .. they kept the type no matter what for the large part... and at the same time Im breeding more toward standard project pen ...and then my SOP birds love love love them!!! they are big and round and fine... Heres something interesting..the imported whites I have were bred much more to everyones standards, they were german imports to england then bred into some brit whites..this caused a few interesting things to come out, nothing bad, just an off colored feather here or there on a few birds, very minor stuff..they have a shorter feather pleantly of leg showing and beautiful orp type..one of the strange features they have is some of them hatch with blue legs..but by the time they are 5 months old the legs are winter white..Not sure why that happens but its interesting..Pastor romig said to me when looking at the babies, are those legs blue, some are pink, some blue? I said yep, now look in this pen with 4 month olds..beat both of us why this happens..but the end result was there..white legs that look like buff legs..white scales..a few appear to carry the gold gene, corn and grass roaming affects tips of feathers, but all of the females stay stone cold winter white no matter what..so Im guessing the whitest and largest male will be in the breeding pen with the hens next year.. I need some coaching on these. Im thinking the way they are bred more to everyones standards is why they were national champions in 2 different countrys.., excuse me, 3 different contries.this bird belongs to Sandra. And she said there were over 7000 birds at this show this baby had blue legs...Go figure
I enjoy learning about your whites. Fascinating. I sooooo love the whites. Do they handle the heat any better? My blacks sure hate the heat. They start panting before the GL do

Back
Top Bottom