The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Can you guess what this lil girl did? Yup, grabbed right onto a teat. My goat, Candy was not a fan of that move. Turned, reared and tried to head butt her. Silly pullet.

4 months old. I like this boy….oh but the leg feathering.
sad.png

I will be taking some English Orps to a show next month, and have some questions. First off, on the entry form, do you put "Breed:Orpington, Variety: AOV-Chocolate? That's what I put, this is my first time entering a bird AOV so I'm not really sure how it works.. Also, what have people found to be the best way to condition English Orpingtons in all their fluff? I have shown Cochins before and fluffy wise I know they are quite similar.
Thanks for help.

Are all Orpingtons english orps? I've seen fat and skinny looking Orpingtons are they any different?
All Orpingtons are in the English class, since that's where they originated.There is ONE standard by which they are judged in this country, and that is the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection, sometimes referred to as the SOP. The standard calls for a large, heavy, dual purpose bird who is a good layer, and a good roasting bird. Not much meat on a "skinny looking" Orpington.

Blarneyeggs funny pics!

bantychickenlove Try to choose one that is closest to standard description of orpington..lots of fluff comes from recent infusion of cochin ect in europe..by standard description I dont mean thin or skimpy, I mean lots of bird less fluff....the bird in this old ad illustrate a good goal for Orp breeders on both sides of the pond, they like tail angle a bit higher but these have great substance and no mistaking they are orp. you become hair (feather) styalist befor the show LOL. in most english orps the body and substance is there..smooth and scrunch..

somone else posted this great old ad a long time ago and Im borrowing it for illustration..lot of the problems we face today are due to actions of the past..long time ago there used to be BIG money in winning at shows, it was a different world than todays shows where there might be 30 orps would be considered a banner day,usually there are 8 to ten .. back then 500 orps in a class even more was pretty much the norm.. so they used chicken fixers , a cottage industry that cropped up around the big prize moneies won at the poultry shows....My freind told me long time ago they used to pluck, dye, do all sorts of things that left todays orp breeders with a bit of a mess to clean up.,they could even take a leghorn with an off color tail feather and replace it with a tail feather from another bird.. so today we are trying to do things the right way..work out some of these things.

Go enjoy the show and learn from other competitiors and Judges

Last edited:
Are all Orpingtons english orps? I've seen fat and skinny looking Orpingtons are they any different?
There really shouldn't be a difference but the more streamlined ones are more "American" than English. Thing is, the ones imported from Europe that are bred to the UK Standard are generally much more meaty and closer to our own standard than the thinner ones actually are. Except for some have excessive fluff. Many really like that though. I know I do like the way it looks. But I choose to breed closer to the standard and don't want it trailing the ground, even though I like to see it.

By the way, even though she appears right now to be "thin" I think she's beautiful. Feed her lots of protein and wait though, she may flower.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom