The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

These birds are gorgeous! I have some young english orpingtons and want to know what do you recommend feeding? I want to make sure I give them the nutrients they need to get as big as possible!

High protein! The are so big they need more than regular birds

I come from a dog background, so I have a question about this. With dogs, you don't want to push their growth too early with too much protein because it causes bone and developmental issues. So you go with a medium amount of protein when they're puppies and then shift to high protein when they're adults. Same with chickens or do you go with a higher protein feed from the start?

You start with high protein as young birds and usually cut back on protein as adults.
Feeding a strictly very high protein diet 24/7 will only hurt the bird and cause developmental issues later on.
I use 18-20% protein as chicks, and use 16% layer pellets for the adults with treats such as various seeds or calf manna added in depending upon the time of year.

Last edited:
You start with high protein as young birds and usually cut back on protein as adults.
Feeding a strictly very high protein diet 24/7 will only hurt the bird and cause developmental issues later on.
I use 18-20% protein as chicks, and use 16% layer pellets for the adults with treats such as various seeds or calf manna added in depending upon the time of year.

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Hi there,

I'm very knew to the chicken thing but I have the bug. Just wanted to say that all of you have some really pretty birds and that I appreciate all of the information that you all have provided in this thread.

I currently have a small flock of imported English Orpingtons in BBS and want to continue with quality breeding. But since I'm new I have soooo many questions.

I want to improve my flock through quality breeding and this is gonna have to start by picking out my favorites. For example I would prioritize in order from most important to least important.
1. Color
2. Conformation
3. Size?
4. Tempermant?

Besides the obvious health concerns what can I add or change in order?

Also would it be easier for me to stick with in-line breeding since I'm new?

How do genetic characteristics translate, for example: Say I wanted to increase the size of my chickens, Is the probability of increasing the size of the chickens the same when breeding a Large Hen x Small Roo as breeding a Large Roo X Small Hen?

Sorry so many questions in one post.

I guess I will start with 1 question at a time.

I want to breed my imported English Orpingtons to the SOP, so I should use the "AmericanPA standard for English Orpingtons?

I guess I will start with 1 question at a time.

I want to breed my imported English Orpingtons to the SOP, so I should use the "AmericanPA standard for English Orpingtons?

It is a tiny bit difficult to breed English Orpingtons to the American Standard of Perfection (SOP), they are slightly different. If you are thinking about showing, there is an English class for Orps. But if you want them bred to the American SOP why not just get American Orps? If you like the look of the English Orps then why not just breed them to the UK standards?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom