The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Thank you! You gotta love these birds with the big skirts
big_smile.png

I can't wait for mine to have skirts!!!! They're at the ugly teen stage now. U.G.L.Y.

OOH, I could show you some of those too.......
lau.gif
........ to get like this, they have to go through that
smile.png

I've been studying pictures like crazy trying to learn how to tell pullets from cockerels. I'm so grateful to all the people who posted progression images of their birds, otherwise I'd never believe these guys could turn into big, beautiful chooks. But I can already see the amazing plumage starting on the most advanced chicks.

Ooooooo. I don't breed (no room!), just own and love. And of course I have fallen in love with the reverse black brindle, the rarest color, LOL!

Do French Mastiffs count (Dogue de Bordeaux) . I don't breed either but I have two of the most incredible dogs, that I absolutely LOVE
love.gif
OK now I have to sneak a picture in here (but I can delete it).

How could you NOT love her.

I've been studying pictures like crazy trying to learn how to tell pullets from cockerels. I'm so grateful to all the people who posted progression images of their birds, otherwise I'd never believe these guys could turn into big, beautiful chooks. But I can already see the amazing plumage starting on the most advanced chicks.

And they just keep getting better. If they are not what you expected at 6 or 8 months, give them a little time. By the time they are a year or year and a half they will be BEAUTIFUL. I have noticed in mine some are late bloomers while some begin to fluff at a couple months
smile.png

Do French Mastiffs count (Dogue de Bordeaux) . I don't breed either but I have two of the most incredible dogs, that I absolutely LOVE
love.gif

OF COURSE THEY DO! I adore them. I love all the big ones though (was raised with Newfs). The thread has been quiet, and has had horse talk sidelines in the past (at least we're not fighting out the SOP, LOL!). Finding it hilarious that GIANT dogs seem to go with GIANT chickens, LOL!

So I'll sneak in a pic of my beastamus, Clancy (he's the main reason I found Orps, as I wanted the biggest, calmest chickens I could find).

Last edited:
And they just keep getting better. If they are not what you expected at 6 or 8 months, give them a little time. By the time they are a year or year and a half they will be BEAUTIFUL. I have noticed in mine some are late bloomers while some begin to fluff at a couple months
smile.png

I definitely have a few of those. One of the splash chicks is still itty-bitty. Like a third the size of her hatchmates (but she will climb over/under them to get to the treats!). And my only black, who I have come to accept is a cockerel, is a hideous half-feathered velociraptor with a naked bum at this point.

OF COURSE THEY DO! I adore them. I love all the big ones though (was raised with Newfs). The thread has been quiet, and has had horse talk sidelines in the past (at least we're not fighting out the SOP, LOL!). Finding it hilarious that GIANT dogs seem to go with GIANT chickens, LOL!

So I'll sneak in a pic of my beastamus, Clancy (he's the main reason I found Orps, as I wanted the biggest, calmest chickens I could find).

Wowy! He looks like a big boy!

Wowy! He looks like a big boy!

A delicate flower at 174 lbs (though I do keep him lean). Male runt of his litter (dad is 260, brothers are all > 200). And now that I've bonded about giant dogs, I'll post a chook pic, LOL! Here are my splash chicks attacking the fresh dust bath (for some reason they seem to like it MUCH more than the other colors).

Back
Top Bottom