The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Sort of an odd question, but I have 5 full grown orpington ladies and I will be moving about 4 hours away to a new house, and I have no clue how to safely travel with them to cause them lease amount of stress. Have any of you guys moved with your birds and if so how can I help make it as painless as possible for them to travel?

Pack them into a large dog kennel or into cardboard cat carriers. They should be fine for a few hours. Just make sure you have someplace to tuen them loose with food and water when you get there.

Sort of an odd question, but I have 5 full grown orpington ladies and I will be moving about 4 hours away to a new house, and I have no clue how to safely travel with them to cause them lease amount of stress. Have any of you guys moved with your birds and if so how can I help make it as painless as possible for them to travel?

I move my birds twice a year about a 3 1/2 hour drive. My bird move consists of a 50 ft trailer since I have a few more than you. I do put bowls of cool cut up fresh cut fruit in each crate in case they get thirsty. The ride always is uneventful, though they are happy to get out of the crates!

Thank you both! You have eased a lot of my fears and the fruit is a great idea. Should I crate them separately? Also how confined should the crate be? Nest box size? I'm assuming you don't want them to have enough room to hurt themselves

Last edited:
Thank you both! You have eased a lot of my fears and the fruit is a great idea. Should I crate them separately? Also how confined should the crate be? Nest box size? I'm assuming you don't want them to have enough room to hurt themselves

Once you get moving they will settle down. I would give them enough space that they don't overheat. They generate a lot of warmth when packed in too tightly. It depends on your crates/cages but I'd give them room to move and be separate from one another but they don't need too much space either .

If you have LF English orp eggs for sale, please PM me.

Looking for partidge, lemon cuckoo, Silver laced (YES, I know...), lavender or Isabelle,

I still don't have good white or black and would be interested in those as well.

Like OnlyOrps said, you do want to give them room to move around. I also have the crates loaded up so they're not crowding each other as well as the birds are going to generate body heat. My trailer has great ventilation but air isn't blowing directly on them. I use the large wire crates with solid floors for 4 hens each. 1 small dog, not toy size, for 1 rooster each. This method has worked for me the past few years and they're all fine and unflustered at the end of the journey.

Back
Top Bottom