The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I am looking to purchase some barnyard chicks that are a UK Black Orpington with Buff hens. Does anyone one have any pictures of full grown crosses of these to see what they will look like? This is one of them, is there any chance this one could turn out to be chocolate in color?

This is buff over blue, will be similar to black with varying degrees of buff.

I have some questions about the typical orpingtons found in hatcheries and such in USA vs the newer to me imported English orpingtons. I haven't been keeping up with breeds lately but now am adding new birds and these certainly look like a nicer bird especially in a dual purpose flock

Is there a difference in productivity (laying), broodiness, behavior, and fertility?

I am not financially able to breed and raise them for eye candy or to sale but I have some opportunities to add some chicks or possibly an adult pair or trio. Since my purpose is to have hens that lay well but will set and raise their young and the culls will make a meaty bird I need to know if there are differences.

Thanks, if this has been covered already, I apologize but there are too many posts on this to go thru them all and googling has not answered my questions.

Last edited:
I have some questions about the typical orpingtons found in hatcheries and such in USA vs the newer to me imported English orpingtons. I haven't been keeping up with breeds lately but now am adding new birds and these certainly look like a nicer bird especially in a dual purpose flock

Is there a difference in productivity (laying), broodiness, behavior, and fertility? 

I am not financially able to breed and raise them for eye candy or to sale but I have some opportunities to add some chicks or possibly an adult pair or trio.  Since my purpose is to have hens that lay well but will set and raise their young and the culls will make a meaty bird I need to know if there are differences.

Thanks, if this has been covered already, I apologize but there are too many posts on this to go thru them all and googling has not answered my questions.

An English or American standardbred Orpington will lay fewer eggs than a production Orpington, but make a much, much better meat bird. A good English should be more docile than a production. Their broodiness seems similar.

I am not financially able to breed and raise them for eye candy or to sale but I have some opportunities to add some chicks or possibly an adult pair or trio. Since my purpose is to have hens that lay well but will set and raise their young and the culls will make a meaty bird I need to know if there are differences.

English and American NON hatchery will definitely be meatier. Also, when it comes to color, I find the chocolate to be the broodiest. I spend every spring kicking them out of the nest.

I also agree that the English are very docile and gentle birds.

Any input on this little gal? She's about 2 1/2- 3 months old
Her name is nugget :p

Another pic, I took these a couple of days ago

Thanks!

Ps. Sorry about the mess I just cleaned the coops today

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom