The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I experienced some similar issues with my first few sets of English orpingtons I was growing out. I switched from a standard chick starter to a broiler starter with higher protein. That seemed to help with the leg issues I'd been having. It also helps them feather out.

Purina person and TSC recommended Flock Raiser. I really liked Purina's Free Range product, as it has soldier fly larvae mixed into the pellets, but apparently it's also a layer formula.... and since I have a cockerel... :confused:

Anyway, our TSC is the only place I can get stuff without driving over an hour... and they don't have a grand selection to begin with... but they do have Flock Raiser (or All Flock, I don't remember) Will that suffice for protein and lower calcium? I have oyster shell grit out all the time.

Thanks! :)

Without knowing the percentage of protein in what you're currently feeding versus the Purina food, I'm not sure if it is any better or not. You should be able to Google the nutritional facts on the feed. I was originally feeding Nutrena and didn't have good results. I switched to Texas Natural Feeds. It is super expensive, but they eat less and they are healthier.

Without knowing the percentage of protein in what you're currently feeding versus the Purina food, I'm not sure if it is any better or not. >>

It was Purina Layena. It was the only sure brand to buy at our TSC for the longest time. They started carrying more Nutrena after a while, but they'd also run out of it frequently too. They have Flock Raiser there all the time. I have just now switched over to it. I thought the higher protein wouldn't be good for the chickens, and I had a few geese till just this last April (who can't eat high protein).... so I think (hope) I'm on an ok page now. Flock Raiser has 20% protein. But since my only decent (carried all the time) choices are Layena or Flock Raiser.... I'm picking the later since I have boys, too. 🤞

Xansie was broody and sitting on a rock for a couple weeks, so I gave her some incubator chicks as they hatched on Friday. Friday night I added the week old chicks that hatched on Sept 8th, and she didn't seem to mind. After dark, I slipped in the 3 wk old (Aug 27th) chick. I didn't want it to be lonely, right? By Sat morning, I added the 9.5 wk old serama chick. I don't really have a place for it, her serama mama already abandoned her, and I haven't sold her yet. I doubt Xansie will notice.

Here's my very happy hen, Xansie, and her chick hoard. She loves being a mama. Today they got to go outside for the 1st time. You'll notice the little 3 day old seramas zooming about and one in back trying to use the big chicken nipple. The chicks are Orpingtons and Seramas. Mama hen is a very special Silkie.

Here's Xansie's last batch of chicks. These were hatched June 16th.
I kept a blue, black, and 2 lav orps. I still have the silkied serama cockerel. He thinks he's an orp and is always with them.
IMG_5510 (2).JPG

The pretty blue
IMG_5511 (2).JPG

"Miss Personality" who's always curious and photobombing.
IMG_5513 (2).JPG

The black (my only black/lav split, so she's staying)
IMG_5515 (2).JPG

The other lav. She's pretty but never poses for me.
IMG_5519 (2).JPG

The serama - who is in need of a new home.
IMG_5383.JPG

@Faraday40, I would so take Serama if I lived close by. Hopefully they found a good home.

I know I’m late to this thread, but I’m curious about the temperaments of the English Orps compared to the “American” ones around here? I know Orps are supposed to be sweet, but I’ve noticed quite a bit of an attitude. Sadly the ones I’ve experienced are hatchery breed and not selective breed which generally makes a difference. She helped to tear up my Cochin’s brother out of no where.

If this was answered, I’m so sorry. Lots of pages and super tired. 😴

We were able to sell the serama. He has a lot of personality, so it was just a matter of time before someone met him and fell in love.

Personality varies from hen to hen. My silver laced orps are very cuddly but maybe a bit too docile. They let the other birds - even the smallest bantam - push them around. The SLO males act more like loving puppies than roosters. Some of my lavs love to be held, others just want to follow me around. I can't say I had a mean or aggressive orp. In general they're pretty laid back. Because they're big, they eat and poop a lot. Egg production is "good" and steady. Some of the hatchery orps will lay 5-6 eggs per week for the first 2 years, then suddenly drop to less than half that after age 2. Mine lay 3-5 eggs per week but is stays that way until age 4 and then slowly decreases. The last difference would probably be the size and shape. The English Orps are big and round - extra butt fluff. I love it, but they can get poopy butt or need a trim to increase fertility.

Having a rough day, so I decided to share some "cuteness"
The SLO hatched Sat & the dark (GLO or partial laced orp) hatched Sunday.

IMG_5697 (2).JPG
IMG_5698 (2).JPG

IMG_5704 (2).JPG
IMG_5707 (2).JPG

For an added laugh, I'll share how @homeschoolin momma & I attempted to vent sex these 2 on Sunday. We learned a very valuable lesson that one should expel the poop from the chick before attempting to vent sex.

Both looked female, so we'll find out in a couple weeks.

I’d just like to say we ordered 8 bbs orpington hatching eggs from papas poultry and he ended up sending 14! They were shipped very well with zero damaged eggs. I can’t wait to see how many hatch and which colors they are. we are hoping for some splashes and blacks to go with our blue’s.

I’d just like to say we ordered 8 bbs orpington hatching eggs from papas poultry and he ended up sending 14! They were shipped very well with zero damaged eggs. I can’t wait to see how many hatch and which colors they are. we are hoping for some splashes and blacks to go with our blue’s.
A friend of mine ordered from them. He decided to splurge on the live shipping boxes (since it was a long journey to get here) Papa's Poultry filled up the boxes. He received so many eggs, I had to help him incubate the overflow. We had a decent hatch rate, too. I hope you're just as lucky.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom