The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Ha! She's very difficult to photograph. She always moves RIGHT when I'm about to take a picture. I definitely need to get some better ones. :) But I have a few.

The peachy color that her breed has seems to be mostly concentrated to her chest area. Although it’s lightly flecked throughout. It’s just very very light.

She’a been easy to handle since day one. She just kinda goes limp when you pick her up. Very sweet.

Her and her "sister" (the Delaware) are currently being slowly integrated into my other flock. They are living in the same area but fenced off from each other for now. Jojo (Josephine), the Orpington, has already had a few stand offs with my Australorp through the fence. :rolleyes: Definitely will take things slow and not rush their integration.
Pretty girl! There are some beautiful birds in this thread! I have a blue orp, but she is the American variety, hoping to get some of the English variety in September.

Hi! I hope this is the “right” thread for this. If not, I’ll keep looking at threads and re-ask my questions elsewhere! :) I’m just looking to hear from people who have Orpington who might be able to teach me more about common breed traits and that sort of thing.

I got my first Orpington this spring. She’s an Isabel Cuckoo English Orpington and she’s almost 16 weeks.

She’s a huge bird. I’m not sure if it’s just because she’s an Orpington or if she’s actually big even for her breed. I don’t really have a way to judge since she’s my first! She has more of a waddle than a walk. I assume this is normal? Since she’s a heavier breed. And her “run” is hilarious. It’s really more of a canter or skip sort of movement.

She also sleeps a lot. Loves to sit on my lap and go to sleep even. Not sure if the sleepy thing is breed related at all or if she is just a big fan of naps.

The weirdest thing about her though is she’s kinda squinty. I truly do not believe anything is wrong with her eyes, or that she has anything in her eyes. But she often will squint to look up at me or up at the sky. Maybe I can get a video of it. The best way to describe it is like she needs glasses and squints to focus on something. I’ve done all kinds of searches on squinting chickens (lol) but can’t find anything that’s not related to an actual eye issue or something in the eye. I think she can see fine though. She navigates around the yard. It’s just odd.

Anyway, if this is the right spot to discuss, would love to hear if any of this is typical of an Orpington. And maybe there aren’t really true breed traits and it’s more general genetics and handling! I’m in my second year as a chicken owner so still lots to learn. [I have the Orpington, a Delaware, RIR, EE, Black Australorp, and a Blue Cochin.]
Welcome. This is pretty much a thread for anyone who loves big, pretty, extra fluffy Orpingtons, so you're welcome to join in.

.... and post pics, of course.

Yes, the English bloodlines are bigger than the regular "American" Orps. There are individual variations in size of course, but the loose feathering makes the the English bloodlines appear even bigger. Gotta love those "bloomers." Orpingtons are a very docile, friendly, cuddly breed. Handling them often makes them better pets!

The waddle-run is very entertaining and Orps do almost anything for treats. I've had a few individuals that do a little skip-hop when running to me. (Just happy and excited to see what goodies I might have.) Orps tend not to wander far from the food bowl and can be easily contained with a short fence. Most of mine love to sit on my lap for attention. They can be clumsy and not the brightest chicken in the coop, but they're still my favorite.

Not sure about the squinting. Is she looking up at you into the sun?

Yes, the English bloodlines are bigger than the regular "American" Orps. There are individual variations in size of course, but the loose feathering makes the the English bloodlines appear even bigger. Gotta love those "bloomers." Orpingtons are a very docile, friendly, cuddly breed. Handling them often makes them better pets!

The waddle-run is very entertaining and Orps do almost anything for treats. I've had a few individuals that do a little skip-hop when running to me. (Just happy and excited to see what goodies I might have.) Orps tend not to wander far from the food bowl and can be easily contained with a short fence. Most of mine love to sit on my lap for attention. They can be clumsy and not the brightest chicken in the coop, but they're still my favorite.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge/experiences with the breed! I feel like you described my Orpington perfectly -- food oriented, docile, loves attention, CLUMSY and not the brightest crayon in the box. Ha! But a very fun chicken to have, I love her.

Not sure about the squinting. Is she looking up at you into the sun?
Not necessarily, I've had her do it in all kinds of lighting conditions -- shade, sun, even indoor when she was still in the brooder at night (for a bit she was outside during the day, in at night -- getting them acclimated to being out, and gave me a chance to finish their coop). Not sure if this is related or not, but I'm also noticing when I pick her up, she'll close her eye(s), almost immediately sometimes. I'm not sure if it's her just relaxing (very quickly) and enjoying being held -- which she does seem to like. Or if it's something else... 😬 Will keep an eye on her (pun NOT intended! haha) and I have a good chicken vet if needed.

This is not related to Orpingtons in any way, but I thought I'd share what our son did for a science project this year. I know he'd love to get some views and likes.

He initially trained a couple different chickens but Styx was the best candidate. The 2 orps were slow to pick up on new things (and kept trying to just eat the food or peck at the clicker). The Leghorn was ok but would freeze up or get distracted easily. Our serama Popcorn was by far the smartest..... but she couldn't peck hard enough to work the keyboard.

So here's the Amazing Styx

This is not related to Orpingtons in any way, but I thought I'd share what our son did for a science project this year. I know he'd love to get some views and likes.

He initially trained a couple different chickens but Styx was the best candidate. The 2 orps were slow to pick up on new things (and kept trying to just eat the food or peck at the clicker). The Leghorn was ok but would freeze up or get distracted easily. Our serama Popcorn was by far the smartest..... but she couldn't peck hard enough to work the keyboard.

So here's the Amazing Styx
That's truly amazing!!! You should make this a thread so everyone can see it!!!! :ya

It's been ages since I've checked in! How is everyone doing? Better than me I'm hoping?
Since you breed English Orps, I have a question if you don't mind about the Lavender Silver-Laced and wondering about your experience with them? I have one that is Isabel Lavender Silver-laced and one that is Isabel Lavender Mottled and they are both somewhat less healthy and easily stressed. Have you found that with these somewhat unique colors? Or is it just my two ladies? The mottled hen has slower clotting responses and a super oddly shaped clavicle. The vet was very confused by it haha. I just wondered if mine were just odd balls, or if there is a bit of difficulty getting healthy strains of these more recessive colorings. Thanks!

Since you breed English Orps, I have a question if you don't mind about the Lavender Silver-Laced and wondering about your experience with them? I have one that is Isabel Lavender Silver-laced and one that is Isabel Lavender Mottled and they are both somewhat less healthy and easily stressed. Have you found that with these somewhat unique colors? Or is it just my two ladies? The mottled hen has slower clotting responses and a super oddly shaped clavicle. The vet was very confused by it haha. I just wondered if mine were just odd balls, or if there is a bit of difficulty getting healthy strains of these more recessive colorings. Thanks!
I too would say they are a little less hardy than their more common colored counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom