The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

We lost a few toes from a raccoon that preferred toes to spilled chicken feed. But I did put a bullet in that one. So I've got a wee flock of Seramas, a reverse trio of Call ducks, a quad of Lemon Blue Bantam Cochins that aren't producing fertile eggs, and nine Bantam Orpingtons (Chocolate, Mauve, and Blue?). Those were all in super-secure pens that she's never messed with. I'm a bit disappointed with the Orps. Ended up with six cockerels and three pullets. All but one cockerel has leakage and some of them are so leaky they have more incorrect feathers than correct ones. And one of the pullets is leaky too.
Were the cochins fertile before or are they not laying? Could it be the weather? My orp's fertility takes a nosedive in the winter. The roosters are always less active in summer heat as well. I think they're just big & lazy. I never have those issues with seramas.

Sorry about the leakage in the bantam orps. The male/female ratio sounds about as good as what @homeschoolin momma gets. She defies the odds with her % of male hatches. :p At least orp cockerels can make a meal. Not so much with the bantams.

Were the cochins fertile before or are they not laying? Could it be the weather? My orp's fertility takes a nosedive in the winter. The roosters are always less active in summer heat as well. I think they're just big & lazy. I never have those issues with seramas.

Sorry about the leakage in the bantam orps. The male/female ratio sounds about as good as what @homeschoolin momma gets. She defies the odds with her % of male hatches. :p At least orp cockerels can make a meal. Not so much with the bantams.
Yes, I have 5......yes 5 serama cockerels and 3 orp cockerels. Only 2 serama pullets and 1 orp pullet. It's just not right folks....

Another unusual series of events:

Last year's new girls Chaos & Calamity did everything together, but personalities varied greatly. Calamity is curious, outgoing, in the middle of it all, and puts herself in my way in order to ensure I notice her. She's not the prettiest lav orp, but endearing. Chaos is a gorgeous black beauty, but unlike her sister, she hates to be handled. If I dare pet her, she squawks and flaps in protest. I never had an orp so resistant to being held. I decided to keep one of Chaos's black babies as a replacement. The replacement is just as beautiful and recently started laying. (Literally my only orp laying at the moment!)

So I was thinking about selling Chaos in early August, but then she went broody. Who would want such a grumbly, unfriendly 10 lb hen?! She accidently smashed the only developing egg, got covered in goo, and had crunchy chest and stomach feathers. ICK! Her other egg was clear. I tried for the next 2 weeks to break her without much success. Then I had an impulse moment at the bargain bin of a feed store ($1.50 chicks). I brought home 2 EEs. She adopted them and is a surprisingly good mama. No other hen, rooster, or turkey will mess with such a big mama. The chicks are now about 6 weeks old and fully integrated into the flock. Here's the new twist: About 4 days ago Calamity decided she wants to play mama. Chaos doesn't even mind. The two sisters are sharing the chicks. Calamity will tidbit for her "nieces" and they have been all sleeping together in one broody pile. I never had a hen suddenly adopt chicks without ever sitting on eggs.

Chaos adopting 1 week old chicks
IMG_8532.JPG

Tonight's broody pile
IMG_8689.jpg IMG_8692.jpg IMG_8697.jpg

These are my two English Orpington pullets, I’m thinking of letting my Lav Orp rooster cover next year in the spring. I’m curious to see what I’d get for babies. I also have a really pretty Mauve Orp that isn’t English but so pretty. Just not sure I have the room for it :-( Loving chickens and hatching isn’t real conducive to suburban backyards! 😩 might just be a pipe dream…

Attachments

• 7D12316D-AF57-4117-89C1-99D85C44638A.jpeg
    7D12316D-AF57-4117-89C1-99D85C44638A.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 9BF22EBB-39D4-415D-B02E-7AAFE9DF1A23.jpeg
    9BF22EBB-39D4-415D-B02E-7AAFE9DF1A23.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 059C98AA-35AC-42A1-A204-DEDED62A10B0.jpeg
    059C98AA-35AC-42A1-A204-DEDED62A10B0.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 4
A few pullets have started to lay, but all my hens are molting. Walking "pin cushions" with cascading trails of feathers blowing off their bodies. My serama number really needs to go down. (Technically, my general chicken number needs to go down before winter.) Weather has been mostly hot & dry. It's been more comfortable recently

We've still got 3 turkeys. They're a love-hate relationship. They can be bullies to the chickens and a little intimidating. They gobble up whatever amount of feed I put out. Even with clipped wings, they can hop fences, and I caught one in my garden this morning - eating my butternut squash!!!! :mad: However, I have seen them chase off hawks. One even gave me the evil eye when I made a hen squawk. (Had to pick up a stick- just in case)

The pecking order here is messed up and confusing. The turkeys were raised by a serama mama and still desire to be near her. They spend much of their day simply hanging out by her tractor. The turkeys sleep with the hens at night and their serama mama is often in the center of her giant bodyguards. My SLO rooster is currently separated in a breeding group, so the lav orp roo is king in the yard - during the day. Turkeys stay clear of him. (Except for one Sebright hen - named Trouble - who's queen and can dominate. Every bird avoids an entanglement with Trouble.) When in their night-time rooster box, my SLO rooster will bully the lav orp roo. However my daughter's tiny silkied serama has a Napoleon complex. He's normally a spoiled, house chicken, so he has no idea how to play nice with other roosters. The little guy attacked the mature SLO roo and sent him running. Poor SLO had no idea why a small "chick" was attacking. Thankfully, he knows better than to peck at chicks and hens, so all he could do run away. Funny but also sad to know I can never allow them to be together.
It looks like I’ve mowed a semi full of feather pillows at my house. Everyone is molting. Geese, Orpingtons, ducks, everybody. They look terrible. Lol all the new BBS pullets are laying. Which is great. I’ll start saving eggs for hatching next week I think.

They were fertile until I lost my original male. Replaced him with a nice son and I’ve never seen him breed and the eggs have always been clear. I’m going to have to try another one from the breeder. Which sucks, I really like the rooster I have now.

The leakage is really annoying. If it’s not pouring tomorrow I’ll get some pics of them.
.... and here's Chaos's biological daughter (April 2nd hatch). Pic was taken last month. She's a little bigger & more red now.
View attachment 2849881View attachment 2849882
Such a handsome lady! I’ll have to get some new pics of Dahlia. She’s decided to start roosting in the rafters of the barn. I’ve no idea how she gets her big butt up there. And I’ve got a stunning black cockerel. He’s going to be absolutely massive. I’ll probably have to separate him out soon. Caesar, the blue male doesn’t like him at all despite having him grow up with the breeding flock. He’s supposed to be split Lavender Mottled, but I don’t think he is. I wish I had a Lavender to test breed him to.

Another unusual series of events:

Last year's new girls Chaos & Calamity did everything together, but personalities varied greatly. Calamity is curious, outgoing, in the middle of it all, and puts herself in my way in order to ensure I notice her. She's not the prettiest lav orp, but endearing. Chaos is a gorgeous black beauty, but unlike her sister, she hates to be handled. If I dare pet her, she squawks and flaps in protest. I never had an orp so resistant to being held. I decided to keep one of Chaos's black babies as a replacement. The replacement is just as beautiful and recently started laying. (Literally my only orp laying at the moment!)

So I was thinking about selling Chaos in early August, but then she went broody. Who would want such a grumbly, unfriendly 10 lb hen?! She accidently smashed the only developing egg, got covered in goo, and had crunchy chest and stomach feathers. ICK! Her other egg was clear. I tried for the next 2 weeks to break her without much success. Then I had an impulse moment at the bargain bin of a feed store ($1.50 chicks). I brought home 2 EEs. She adopted them and is a surprisingly good mama. No other hen, rooster, or turkey will mess with such a big mama. The chicks are now about 6 weeks old and fully integrated into the flock. Here's the new twist: About 4 days ago Calamity decided she wants to play mama. Chaos doesn't even mind. The two sisters are sharing the chicks. Calamity will tidbit for her "nieces" and they have been all sleeping together in one broody pile. I never had a hen suddenly adopt chicks without ever sitting on eggs.

Chaos adopting 1 week old chicks
View attachment 2849808

Tonight's broody pile
View attachment 2849874View attachment 2849875View attachment 2849876
My Blue Orp is like that, very standoffish and down right neurotic if she even thinks you might be coming to touch her, I think the only reason I've kept her is because she is so big and pretty, lol

It hasn't rained even though the weather talkers promised we'd get rain Wednesday through Sunday. So I'll get pics after work. The neighbors baled hay and the other neighbors mowed their ragweed so with the wind that was supposed to be blowing in a storm I was dead and avoiding the out of doors. lol

The promised pictures…

First the meh little bantam Orpingtons. So much leakage and not enough floof. I’m hoping they keep filling out.
98E7ACCC-5253-40C0-829F-197FB337AD2E.jpeg
DC72DBC6-F290-4814-9308-AE6FFDCF0492.jpeg
96AFF3BB-DBDD-4E93-B951-AB0D63D13EB5.jpeg
E2219786-2D68-4586-BAF9-98AEE5EC7E0E.jpeg

And the BBS large fowl pen. Dahlia is easily spotted (Black hen) and I’m loving the cockerel in the back. I wish Caesar didn’t hate him. He looks like a hot mess, excuse the horrible bald spots from molting.
E3C221E7-6511-43DB-B85D-D7B326BA9CE5.jpeg
FFD453C5-1598-4CA0-A6BB-96A8865180A2.jpeg
CBD33A21-493A-47B2-A48C-0F37946AAEEB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom