The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I lost some last year when it was over 110+ degrees. We were in a major drought. What’s your humidity like? I think the humidity makes it tougher on them.

Not too worrisome. Especially during the summer (part of the reason why we get crazy wildfires each year). I will say that down in the coops it is a little more humid, but I intend to put them (IF I ever get them:old) in the less humid coop I have, which happens to be my main coop

Oh, and on the topic of wildlifes, are they any less susceptible to smoke than the regular bird? The last few years there hasn't been much of a worry about the smoke, but since everything in the greater area is pretty much burnt, that leaves the forest closer to us. Oh, and (I promise last question for the day) have yall noticed any difference in temperament and physical abilities (so for example the weight of the males becoming a limiting factor) within the different colors?

I don’t make a habit of smoking them out lol
Dead🤣 yeah, birds in general are more susceptible to smoke, but I'd imagine some chicken breeds are worse than others. For example silkies...actually scratch that. And good to know that the males are sweet. I wouldn't want a male of that size attacking me. Then again I don't know how effective said attack would be

Sooo how well would an English Orpington stand the hot Greek whether? These are the readings for this week, note that they are in Celsius. I have converted the highest temperature, and it's 90°F.View attachment 3544075 I think Colt is in Texas, so they should be fine, right?
I have some and live in the Central Valley in California with very hot summers and mine get really hot during the worst of the summer weather, but I have misters on, lots of shade, frozen ice packs, and they get cold treats. I have yet lost a bird from the heat. But @ColtHandorf is probably correct that the humidity is what is likely the worst for them--we don't have humid weather it's very Mediterranean like much of Greece I would guess. You might be okay if you take the extra steps for them on the really hot days! ;)

Dead🤣 yeah, birds in general are more susceptible to smoke, but I'd imagine some chicken breeds are worse than others. For example silkies...actually scratch that. And good to know that the males are sweet. I wouldn't want a male of that size attacking me. Then again I don't know how effective said attack would be
Trust me just because they are XL doesn't mean they can't bust a move, when I built the breeding pen I thought a 4ft wall would be plenty high enough (he can't get his big ass up and over that) Oh, how wrong I was :lau After 1 day he flew up to the top of the wall and crowed, like as to say I don't think so lady. And my husband laughs so hard when I open the gate to let them out into the yard, he always says you'd never think those fat girls could move that fast

I have some and live in the Central Valley in California with very hot summers and mine get really hot during the worst of the summer weather, but I have misters on, lots of shade, frozen ice packs, and they get cold treats. I have yet lost a bird from the heat. But @ColtHandorf is probably correct that the humidity is what is likely the worst for them--we don't have humid weather it's very Mediterranean like much of Greece I would guess. You might be okay if you take the extra steps for them on the really hot days! ;)

OK. The coop is definitely shaded, and usually has a cool breeze flowing through it at the hottest part of the day. For cool treats, I'll come up with something

Trust me just because they are XL doesn't mean they can't bust a move, when I built the breeding pen I thought a 4ft wall would be plenty high enough (he can't get his big ass up and over that) Oh, how wrong I was :lau After 1 day he flew up to the top of the wall and crowed, like as to say I don't think so lady. And my husband laughs so hard when I open the gate to let them out into the yard, he always says you'd never think those fat girls could move that fast

I'm trying to make a visual of them running and it's hilarious :lau

Back
Top Bottom