The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

That is a great idea
smile.png
I have been doing split hatches now that I have 3 bators to work with. My eyes are not the greatest even though I did just get a pair of Real glasses.. lol I started drawing symbles like stars, hearts, exclaimation marks<< on the eggs so I can easily identify which group goes into the hatcher. The star group goes in 3-30
smile.png
This method is working pretty good for me. Now I can move quickly to remove the right eggs and get the top back on the bator faster.
smile.png

Julie, good luck with the hatch. Good idea using the mesh bags, I'll have to remember that.

Joy, anything more this morning on the two stragglers? Remember when we talked a couple days ago, I was talking about trimming butts. Well, in this hatch, I had 5 out of 6 babies hatch. The one that didn't hatch wasn't fertile, but not bad, huh? I'll still probably trim though, just to be sure. Anyway, my total Joy babies is up to 8!
jumpy.gif

Nope - nothing from either egg.
hit.gif
NO noise, no movement. I'm going to give them today and see. They definitely have chicks in them - I'm not sure what happened.

Joy, I have an egg in the bator that's now on day 23... it's a little Ameraucana cross, I left it in hoping it might just br a late hatcher but I think I'll remove it today. I just hate taking them out unhatched.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I don't understand how the mesh bags work. What kind of mesh bags are they? Do you put only one egg in each bag?

I was thinking of using some plastic cross stitch stuff (forgot what that is called) to fence off areas. It is stiff and has holes in it and can be cut to size with scissors.

I've used strawberry baskets with some success.

Also, someone posted a picture on another thread using the wire cages that hold bird suet cakes as dividers. You can fit three of the large sized ones in a Hovabator and the additional room left over creates another area to place a group in.

It was an awesome idea, I will see if I can dig up the picture...

Quote:
I like this idea of the suet cages.

I've used cardboard duct taped in place and it's usually worked well for me but every once in a while they'll push hard enough to loosen one end.

Julie....... do their toes ever get stuck in the mesh of the bags?

I like to use the auto turner racks for hatching. But have used the styrofoam egg cartons as well.
Egg carton worked well last nite. I have about a dozen new prospects. I have been hoping, I mean praying for my White Orp pullet to punch out a few eggs. From the looks of this one chick my prayers have been answered. Lite skin, lite beak = White chick from my 8 month old Serpico. I still prefer the auto turner racks. But have too many eggs right now to be choosey. Hope you all are getting more and more fertile eggs. Good luck with your hatchlings.
LiL Serp is a tank.
003-16.jpg

Back
Top Bottom