The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Hi from Ga. Congrats. jeremy
jumpy.gif

Quote:
They will also be alot smaller. Have you weighed yours? SOP bantam Orpington standard weights are 34 for a cockerel and 30 for a pullet. I'm guessing there will be a HUGE difference, more then the fluff.

To my understanding UK bantams bigger body size than US bantams??
hu.gif
Would be great to see the two of them side by side, pictures can be sooo deceiving.
smile.png

I hope I dont get anyone upset or yelled at...but if you are someone who enjoys showing you would have to cross them on American Black Orp Bantams...the english bantam orps are huge compared to our bantams I believe their standard say up to 3 lbs....so honestly size would be more of an issue than type. As for making the cross just to sell chicks for less...well I doubt it, if someone shows they would probably pay more for a chocolate orp bantam that could be shown or has been bred down in size.

After saying all this I would like to add, that Marc Sacre and Pampered Poultry both seem to be first class operations all the way and I hope they do well with their birds, the English Chocolate Bantam Orps are very beautiful, I am really excited to see the true sex linked chocolate gene finally over here in the states and I look forward to working with the birds to create chocolate wyandottes...thanks to Marc, Pampered Poultry and Greenfire Farms for working so hard to get them over here.

I am sure chocolate orps will be available at a pretty reasonable rate by the fall of 2012, since they will be all over the place ( I think we can look at other imports that sold for large amounts of money, that now sell for much, much less)...the ones bred down to our bantam weight would probably be more valuable in the long run. Now dont get me wrong, I think the English Orps are beautiful, let be honest they are cute as h*ll....but I like to show...heck I think you should all switch over to wyandottes anyways...LOL.

Jerry

Last edited:
Quote:
hu.gif
Would be great to see the two of them side by side, pictures can be sooo deceiving.
smile.png

I hope I dont get anyone upset or yelled at...but if you are someone who enjoys showing you would have to cross them on American Black Orp Bantams...the english bantam orps are huge compared to our bantams I believe their standard say up to 3 lbs....so honestly size would be more of an issue than type. As for making the cross just to sell chicks for less...well I doubt it, if someone shows they would probably pay more for a chocolate orp bantam that could be shown or has been bred down in size.

I am sure chocolate orps will be available at a pretty reasonable rate by the fall of 2012, since they will be all over the place ( I think we can look at other imports that sold for large amounts of money, that now sell for much, much less)...the ones bred down to our bantam weight would probably be more valuable in the long run. Now dont get me wrong, I think the English Orps are beautiful, let be honest they are cute as h*ll....but I like to show...heck I think you should all switch over to wyandottes anyways...LOL.

You had me. I agree. I love to show. But then you had to say wyandottes, YUCKY

Quote:
You are a braver man than me....there are kinds of weird chicken diseases floating around at the chicken swaps, airborne or carried on tires and shoes.

Quote:
hu.gif
smile.png

After saying all this I would like to add, that Marc Sacre and Pampered Poultry both seem to be first class operations all the way and I hope they do well with their birds, the English Chocolate Bantam Orps are very beautiful, I am really excited to see the true sex linked chocolate gene finally over here in the states and I look forward to working with the birds to create chocolate wyandottes...thanks to Marc, Pampered Poultry and Greenfire Farms for working so hard to get them over here.

Jerry

One thing... http://rdwyandottes.co.uk/

Quote:
hu.gif
smile.png

Jerry

My thought exactly, very well said, thank you!!
thumbsup.gif
I too love to show my bantam orpingtons and would one day love to add chocolate to that but it would definitely have to meet the American SOP.
smile.png

Quote:
Krista, I have one BIG, HUGE, literally one of the BIGGEST fatty chicks I have ever seen, Splash baby in the brooder- there's no doubt it's Neville's baby. It obviously inherited it's size from it's daddy!
big_smile.png
There's another Blue chick that is drying off in the incubator now. I see at least 1 more pip, there are another 4 or 5 eggs to hatch after that... we'll see how things go, tomorrow is day 23 for these guys so they're hatching way late. I dunno why, I just hope for a few more.
fl.gif

Pictures will come soon...

Quote:
Thanks fife!

Last edited:
Quote:
hu.gif
smile.png

Jerry

Hi Jerry -

I truly appreciate the kind words! We do go the extra mile and it shows in the quality of the operation and birds.

We have not weighed our bantams because I believe they are not out of the growth stage. Based on the conversation I have had with our friends across the pond - they will probably be between 4 and 5 lbs.

As far as co-mingling bird with American ........ughhhhhh... that gives me the shivers!. The birds are simply too beautiful in their English stance to do such a tragic thing. As we know the price on these birds are high at the moment and it is simply too tempting for someone to see the opportunity to make a quick dollar and expand their flock with some American stock. I know for some people that are into shows - that might be the way to work on an eventual American standard....however I believe that 'cheapens' the bird.

Yes I admit the price is pretty high on the English Chocs at the moment... but that offsets the cost to get them here. As with all breeds - this will come way down... it always does.

As for the Wyandottes - great birds...I just never have been that attracted to them....hmmm.. maybe one day they will be on my radar. Sooooo little time.......too many breeds.........

Back
Top Bottom