The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Jeremy, here are a few pics of my Orps. I sent some a while ago but they are just growing and growing. They are 10 months old now. My birds came from Julie last April. I am SO proud of them....

Rising Star - Lovely birds !! At 10 months, they will really start filling out now. Can't wait to see them as they mature. Love the color on the pullet in picture 3 !! Great job. Congrats !!
thumbsup.gif

Went to the coop today and had a long talk with the Jubilees (come on the rest of you have talked to chickens - admit it)......... and I discussed in detail their lack of egg production (ZERO at the moment)..........discussed changing feeds, more vitamins, more lighting, etc......it appears they are not interested in my side of the conversation......... until............ I started talking about chicken noodle, chicken gumbo, chicken and rice...chicken strips... that got a few cackles......we shall see..

HMMM wonder how a english bird tastes anyways.........................
somad.gif

Hi Richard -

I feel your pain. Mine had just started laying again after molting, and months without an egg. Now we have a little snap of cold weather and I haven't had an egg in a week or more
he.gif
. Cheryl is correct though, you need to talk to them with a Brit accent. I had a little chat with mine just yesterday, but I don't think I convinced them that I needed eggs. I told them if they didn't pick up with the egg laying business, they were going to end up as English Trifle - to this, they just turned their butts to me and squawked "Bloody 'ell"!! That might have been Winston, I'm not sure. Whoever it was, I thought it was pretty rude
hu.gif
. I wonder how they will feel when I cut out their morning fruit and oatmeal?

Glad to know I have good company...........this has got to get better for sure!

Mine would not know how to act with treat every morning.... I do mix some tasty supplements in their food... :)

Hi Richard -

I feel your pain. Mine had just started laying again after molting, and months without an egg. Now we have a little snap of cold weather and I haven't had an egg in a week or more
he.gif
. Cheryl is correct though, you need to talk to them with a Brit accent. I had a little chat with mine just yesterday, but I don't think I convinced them that I needed eggs. I told them if they didn't pick up with the egg laying business, they were going to end up as English Trifle - to this, they just turned their butts to me and squawked "Bloody 'ell"!! That might have been Winston, I'm not sure. Whoever it was, I thought it was pretty rude
hu.gif
. I wonder how they will feel when I cut out their morning fruit and oatmeal?

Joy, I have not gotten an egg from my part english hens and pullets since Oct., I have 40 of them!!!!! I have tried everything this winter so it looks like I'm going to be having roast chicken soon!! I can't afford to feed that many without getting an egg even tho they are pretty yard birds! lol DH is having a fit on the feed bill. Going to stick with some Buffs and Lavenders that are laying quite well.

No pictures Jeremy..... :(

Heck with 125 + birds squawking at me and trying to do some upgrades on the pens... my time is limited.

I had a bad experience with PVC this past winter.....so therefore I will be moving my water lines over to hydraulic hoses and brass fittings. A little expensive - but I have some connections on the prices - plus once it is installed - that is it.

I believe talking to the girls really helps. :) I tell them how pretty they are and thank them for the lovely eggs... while I give them their treats.... Egg production has picked up to 22 as of yesterday :)

Some advice please on my jubilees

I have 2 roos in with my 3 girls - one of the roos is a bit larger, a bit better form and more protective of his girls. I will be using him for breeding. At the moment I have everyone in one pen, however as nothing is going on in the egg laying dept anyway. They are 7 1/2-8 mths now.

When I had two roos in my mille fleur leghorn pen and then took one out, production started. Would you guys recommend separating the 2nd roo at this point. He looks really good too, if I had the pen space I'd give him a girl of his own, but sadly I don't so he'll be lonely. I want to keep him of course in case there is a problem with roo #1

Joy, I have not gotten an egg from my part english hens and pullets since Oct., I have 40 of them!!!!! I have tried everything this winter so it looks like I'm going to be having roast chicken soon!! I can't afford to feed that many without getting an egg even tho they are pretty yard birds! lol DH is having a fit on the feed bill. Going to stick with some Buffs and Lavenders that are laying quite well.

Sandy - OUCH !!! 40 birds and no eggs since October? That is pretty extreme. I don't blame you for being a bid annoyed with them. I'm not getting many eggs either. They had all started laying pretty good again after the molt until about a week or so, now I'm getting very few and far between again. Matilda, who is usually an egg-laying machine, has even quit giving me eggs. I'm not sure what is going on with them. I had a talk with them yesterday - I told them that if they didn't start giving me eggs, they weren't going to get any treats when they came to the door begging. I have a really cute picture of them coming up on the porch and begging for treats. I haven't had the nerve to try and post a picture on this new format yet - I can barely post, much less post a picture !!!

Some advice please on my jubilees

I have 2 roos in with my 3 girls - one of the roos is a bit larger, a bit better form and more protective of his girls. I will be using him for breeding. At the moment I have everyone in one pen, however as nothing is going on in the egg laying dept anyway. They are 7 1/2-8 mths now.

When I had two roos in my mille fleur leghorn pen and then took one out, production started. Would you guys recommend separating the 2nd roo at this point. He looks really good too, if I had the pen space I'd give him a girl of his own, but sadly I don't so he'll be lonely. I want to keep him of course in case there is a problem with roo #1

Are the boys "doing the deed" yet? Are the boys fighting? If not, I would leave them as they are until they start mating/fighting, or the girls start laying. When you do move them, I would definitely not have your second rooster be without at least one hen - chickens need at least one companion.

Back
Top Bottom