The Legbar Thread!

this is my rooster Simon.this is his girlfriend. Please tell me what you are think of them.
Longtime -no hear from - hopefully everything is going well. Were these birds fire survivors? I think you may have a lot going for you there---but hard to see well on this little screen. Looks like a very nice comb and tail-angle on your rooster. Looks like nice yellow on legs and beak too.

Question for you guys. I got a breeding pair of Legbars were imported from Greenfire. The hen just went through a molt and was off laying when I got her. She laid a beautiful robin's blue egg the next day much to my suprise and another blue egg a few days later. Since then she's laid a more muted blue/green egg. Do you think the restarting of her laying has gotten the color off a bit?

Here are the eggs for comparison

Second egg she produced: The nice blue!

Now her eggs are looking like this

wow, what a change.

Some studies on other types of birds increased the blue by the addition of carotinoids administered to the birds in water.

It would be interesting to see if you could influence the colors since your bird has such a variety of colors. It would an experiment to put some beta carotene in the drinking water (it kind of would stain your waterer red, I think) - Don't even know if it would be something that they would drink....

Your first picture isn't in sunlight and your last one is.... Is the difference really that great in the colors? Do you have an online auction color chart or color card from the Ameraucana Breeders Club to match the colors against? Seems that different monitors show colors a bit differently, so -- And blue photography can be tricky.
Thanks for posting.

So excited out of four Legbar mix eggs I set to test my roosters fertility, THREE hatched! I was really surprised by the variation of color that I got too. The mother is a TetraTint (Leghorn X RIR) and the rooster of course was my Cream Legbar. I ended up with one solid white chick, one brown chickmunky chick, and one black barred chick! I put a few more of these mixes in my incubator along with some of pure legbar eggs to see what hatches. At least these chicks will grow up to be some good green egg layers (if I end up with females). And here is a pic of the cuteness!
Edited to add: The mother is my avatar pic.

Last edited:
What adorable babies Yoie!

Here are my two healthy ones so far. I have one more girl in the bator that I had to help out of her shell. She pipped day 18 silly girl, and by day 20 was glued in by the inner membrane. She has a crooked/broken??? toe and couldn't get up at first, but with some electrolyte/vitamin water and food she's trying to get up today! I know I probably should have left her...hoping I didn't ruin the rest of the hatch since no one else has arrived since day 20...but I had a feeling she was a girl and had to help...Her shell was so hard to crack though, so I upped the humidity. Maybe that will help. Enough with the rambling...onto some tiny squishable cuteness!

Introducing London Fog! (from Rinda's Hugger)

And his yet unnamed consort (from Candace)

disclaimer...I am a horrible photographer, little girl has a light spot on her head but it is not white or that big.

Last edited:
What adorable babies Yoie!

Here are my two healthy ones so far. I have one more girl in the bator that I had to help out of her shell. She pipped day 18 silly girl, and by day 20 was glued in by the inner membrane. She has a crooked/broken??? toe and couldn't get up at first, but with some electrolyte/vitamin water and food she's trying to get up today! I know I probably should have left her...hoping I didn't ruin the rest of the hatch since no one else has arrived since day 20...but I had a feeling she was a girl and had to help...Her shell was so hard to crack though, so I upped the humidity. Maybe that will help. Enough with the rambling...onto some tiny squishable cuteness!

Introducing London Fog! (from Rinda's Hugger)

And his yet unnamed consort (from Candace)

disclaimer...I am a horrible photographer, little girl has a light spot on her head but it is not white or that big.
Hey KPenley -- they are going to grow up to be Amazingly beautiful!!

wow, what a change.

Some studies on other types of birds increased the blue by the addition of carotinoids administered to the birds in water.

It would be interesting to see if you could influence the colors since your bird has such a variety of colors. It would an experiment to put some beta carotene in the drinking water (it kind of would stain your waterer red, I think) - Don't even know if it would be something that they would drink....

Your first picture isn't in sunlight and your last one is.... Is the difference really that great in the colors? Do you have an online auction color chart or color card from the Ameraucana Breeders Club to match the colors against? Seems that different monitors show colors a bit differently, so -- And blue photography can be tricky.
Thanks for posting.

That would be an interesting experiment. The blue shade turned out more intense in photos but if you put them up next to each other you notice a slight difference in tint ie: robins egg blue vs. more blue/green mint. She's starting to trend towards the more robin egg's blue from today's egg.

That would be an interesting experiment. The blue shade turned out more intense in photos but if you put them up next to each other you notice a slight difference in tint ie: robins egg blue vs. more blue/green mint. She's starting to trend towards the more robin egg's blue from today's egg.
Yesterday I met a man who said his hens were laying a very saturated blue. Bluer than his Ameraucanas. Also on the internet, I've seen CL and Ameraucana eggs side-by-side comparison. Blue eggs is going to be a very high priority for me.

My little pullet lays a very pretty quite saturated color...and I think after putting some smashed up sweet potatoes in her feed she did get a tiny bit more blue and less green, but still it is mint green. (OAC151 if you have the Online Auction Color chart). She seems a bit more saturated than her mother was, and that is the right direction for me. She has just now become a very determined broody, and she doesn't want me to take her eggs any more...so she is seriously working on trying to hatch a fake egg. Luckily I got some fertile Cream Legbar eggs yesterday. So she may have her way.

Hoping to get a CL soon - All your pics of eggs and chicks are making me drool!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom