The Legbar Thread!

Thanks! Yeah, she looks very stern in that picture and I thought it was a great picture!
big_smile.png
He is now 11 months old. There are a lot of positive qualities I like in these birds. There are also a few things I want to work on with them. I just want to keep improving them each generation. I culled from 28 adults to 8 to get better quality and am now working on my second generation.
Congrats on your culling down to your selected breeders and I wish you luck on your next generation.

Could you point out some of the qualities that you like in your breeders, and also what your hoping to improve on them?

You have already hatched from them correct? If so how are you liking the young ones so far?

just a quick update on my 4 chicks, they're now 3 and 1/2 weeks old. The females are virtually identical with one having a few more feathers on the back of her head. On both (only one in this picture) the breast is a salmon/creamy colour, with silver hackles (rather than gold as seen in some strains in the USA). The males are looking very different still, the runt still lagging behind in feather growth but the bravest and most inquisitive chick! The runt has a lot more barring than the other male - who looks a bit cuckoo (like one of our hybrids) with a loft of grey and very little white or dark grey, his hackles seem to show better barring. His outer primaries still very white... Also the females seem to have yellow-er (can you say that?!) than the male's - just an observation!

just a quick update on my 4 chicks, they're now 3 and 1/2 weeks old. The females are virtually identical with one having a few more feathers on the back of her head. On both (only one in this picture) the breast is a salmon/creamy colour, with silver hackles (rather than gold as seen in some strains in the USA). The males are looking very different still, the runt still lagging behind in feather growth but the bravest and most inquisitive chick! The runt has a lot more barring than the other male - who looks a bit cuckoo (like one of our hybrids) with a loft of grey and very little white or dark grey, his hackles seem to show better barring. His outer primaries still very white... Also the females seem to have yellow-er (can you say that?!) than the male's - just an observation!

Good update, thank you for posting. It will be so interesting to see them grow up. Remember to post lots of photos and keep us informed.
smile.png

Good update, thank you for posting. It will be so interesting to see them grow up. Remember to post lots of photos and keep us informed.
smile.png
thank you
big_smile.png
I will do, I always urge them on to grow and grow in my head hehe
lol.png
It's such a waiting game but i love it!!

Quote: A few things I like:

In the male: great crest, less chestnut, but not lacking chestnut altogether, that he has fairly clear hackles, darker gray barring, yellow legs.
In females: clear hackles, great crests, better colored earlobes.

A few things I'd like to work on:

In both male and female: improving body type (longer backs and lower tail angles), better combs
In the females: more of a gray tone to the body, more salmon breasts
In males: more of a white earlobe

These are just a few things I've noticed. There are other things to work on, but right now, my focus will be on body type and then work on some of the other things.

Quote: My chicks generally gain a pound per month. At 3 months, most of them are about 3 pounds. The legbars are smaller/lighter in general. At 12 weeks they are 2.5 - 2.8 pounds. It is all about averages though - I always have some tiny pullets and some chicks that are way bigger than everyone else. Hope that helps!

Good mornin'! Last week I picked up six 12 week old cream Legbar girls. After splitting half of them with a good friend, I brought my three new girls home. I noticed right away that two of them have light yellow (w/ pink accents) legs & feet, while the other has blue legs & feet. Is this variation in skin color normal in Legbars?

Good mornin'! Last week I picked up six 12 week old cream Legbar girls. After splitting half of them with a good friend, I brought my three new girls home. I noticed right away that two of them have light yellow (w/ pink accents) legs & feet, while the other has blue legs & feet. Is this variation in skin color normal in Legbars?

I'm pretty sure the standard (in the UK anyway) calls for yellow feet & legs, maybe white-ish but definitely not blue!

My chicks generally gain a pound per month. At 3 months, most of them are about 3 pounds. The legbars are smaller/lighter in general. At 12 weeks they are 2.5 - 2.8 pounds. It is all about averages though - I always have some tiny pullets and some chicks that are way bigger than everyone else. Hope that helps!
THANKS for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom