The Middle Tennessee Thread

So the neighbors orange tabby cat has found my chicken coops.. I have found my older bantam Roos tail feathers lying around here lately. Now along with chickens me and the misses rescue pit bulls we have 4 but they are all inside babies. when i take them out the cat heads for the hills. i have access to a electric fence box and I have of course my guns but I catch this cat daily creeping around my runs and coops. How have others delt with this?

I have discouraged cats with water sprinklers and water guns. If they are really stubborn I have resorted to putting lemon juice or ammonia in the water gun. Of course that sometimes only teaches them to avoid stalking when you might be around. If you can have one of those shrieking Halloween decorations that are activated by a motion sensor that will tell you when to turn on the sprinkler then the shrieking plus the water spraying usually weirds them out too much to repeat it. Now you can have fun with this even though it is serious that you break the cat of stalking your chickens. It is fun to wage psychological warfare on cats. Think of it as designing a Cat Horror House. Go completely "Home Alone" on them. Nothing will send them to the moon like a strange noise followed by something swooping at them or water spraying them. And be sure to develop a maniacal evil laugh that you can give when the cat dose backflips then sets your lawn on fire from the friction of his running out of your yard. This way later if you see him but don't have anything handy at the moment you can just lay that laugh on him and it will stop him while he tries to figure out what is going to be jumping out of the bush next. And definitely be sure the cat knows you are certified crazy! Because you never know just what a crazy person will do so you stay away from them. Stalk the cat with the water gun. Not just if he is after your chickens but just near your property.

Now there is one other thing you can do that might change the cats behavior. It works more reliably with dogs and wolves and coyotes. Go out at night (I am guessing from your handle that you are a guy) and take a leak by the coop. This will mark it as yours in a way that the cat will understand and if it continues to stalk then it has decided to take you on. It is possible to get a cat to leave poultry alone. I have eight cats at the moment. They all ignore the chickens. So do my four dogs. My cats will curl up with some of my dogs (the beagle doesn't go for cuddling with cats). Every spring when my lambs are born I bring the lambs inside and introduce them to each of the dogs and let them know that these lambs are mine and belong on our farm. I did the same when I got the chicks. Now because this cat is not your cat it is not as easy as that. Good luck.

P.S. Had an idea. Tape your four dogs all exited and barking and wire it to a Halloween motion sensor so it will play if the cat trips it. Be sure it is really loud.

my roo is walking! am so shocked! I had him in a barrel pen....they are a little slick so he just sat there for 2 days but looked like he was trying to use his leg so I moved him to a reg pen and he stayed standing and walking and preening too. yeah!

That's funny because today as I was finishing up my new bantam run, i took a leak around the run lol with the same thought lmao. I am gonna try a couple things before I get out the rifle.i am gonna put my dog hooch a shar pei pit bull mix on his lead out there for a day while I am home and see if that helps but he is crazy so I have to keep a eye on him. Worse comes to worse the cat is gonna meet his maker.

That's hooch don't let the wrinkles fool you yes he is cute but he is a hand full...

Jennifer Hatcher.....6545 Arno Road, College Grove.....off 840.....
368-7873
Very nice, very good and very affordable...her family owns Hatcher's Dairy.

The hatchers are great they are the vet of our dogs and are amazing. They won't charge you a arm or a leg either Alex that works there is also a very good vet..

Ok, so I have 6 girls that are about 6 mos old and I just received 2 new ones Saturday. I have the new ones fenced in a smaller space in my coop just so my other girls can get acquainted with them without anyone getting hurt. How long should I keep them all separated for? When I do let them out, will I still have to keep the new ones in the coop to keep them from running off till they learn that this new place is now their home. By the way, I think the new ones are about 14 wks.

Back
Top Bottom