The Middle Tennessee Thread

We had our NPIP inspection today. It was done by Barron, from the State of TN, Dr. Madeline Taber, from the USDA, and Andrea, from the USDA. So far we've passed. More results Tuesday. I can exhale now...almost.
They tested 3 out of each of my breeding pens and 15 out of the laying pen, so over 1/3 of the flock was tested. It is $40.00 this year. The AI test will be back Tuesday. Thanks for
everybody's support. It means a lot!

I am guessing the higher price is for the AI testing. That was not a test in the past.... it was extra. They must require it now after the outbreak last year.

It is required. There is an optional program where they will retest for AI ever 6 months at no additional charge. You can opt in at any point in the first 6 months. According to these guys, some states require AI testing within 6 months of shipping eggs, so TN is offering the optional retest to keep us able to ship to those states.
 I am guessing the higher price is for the AI testing.  That was not a test in the past.... it was extra.  They must require it now after the outbreak last year.  

So Lisa, what all do they check ? Cleanliness of ur coops, feed, blood ? What ?

They do throat swabs and draw blood of the chickens. They picked which chickens they wanted to test. While they had them picked up they got a general inspection for bugs and health. They certainly walked around the whole area and were in all my coops, but they didn't specifically look at anything. All the food is in containers and everything is oxined and clean as possible, so there wasn't anything for them to really comment on.
yesss.gif

I'm moving from OK to the Waverly area. Is there anything particular I need to know bringing my flock from OK. I haven't got them tested here. To tell you the truth I just got them so I could have eggs then several people asked for them and soon I sold them person to person. Then I started hatching chicks and selling them locally.

I have to get a coop and pen built before I bring all of my birds. I dabble with the marans and have some Americaunas to get get some olive eggers.

Just talked with my area vet and she said that you could call your area vet if you had a sick bird and they will come and get it to take for testing for Mareks or AI. They prefer live birds because they can get blood and other fresh samples but they will also take your dead birds for necropsy as well. This is free and I thought it interesting that they will come and get them for you.
I was mainly calling for information about getting my flock NPIP tested but thought I would pass on the information.

Back
Top Bottom