The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

Pics
If you like I can send you few eggs. I'll make sure to pick out hens only
They would be my dream broodies. I've tossed the idea around for a couple years but just never wanted to deal with any males.
Just not set up for the separation needs they'd take.

2 stories for the price of 1:

1) So these chicks do a new thing I've never noticed before when they're in the dark alone. They flare their wings out like a broody mama, and then lay on the ground as flat as possible so they look like they're bowing. They lay still until they think they're safe, and then shuffle forwards a few steps and stop again, never rising. The funniest thing I've ever seen, I might try to get a picture tomorrow night if it happens. The Cornish bantams and one mosaic/mosaic mix were pretty good at this. The others... not so much. But I have never seen this before in any birds I've had.

2) My mystery pullet (thinking a game bantam) is absolutely nuts at bedtime. It's dark, so obviously it's somewhat scary, I understand that. Most of the birds lay there and accept their fate when I grab them. Some cry and flap and kick before accepting fate.

She, however, screams. Screams loud enough I'm sure she's got a 3rd lung or something helping make this volume that probably woke the neighborhood up. She's flying around the pen like a freaking finch would, making the rest inside the house panic and flee back into the run. And then a 2nd time before I shut them in so it doesn't happen a 3rd time.

She gets out and is running through the chicken trailer park, in pitch darkness, before I finally grab her enough to tuck her into my stomach and muffle the screams still coming from this teeny little thing as we get back into the coop.

I guarantee that the coyotes will be nearby tonight, and I'm praying no one snuck out and got left behind. I didn't see anyone, but my eyesight isn't as good as a predator in the dark.

Have around 20 chicks so far in the hatcher.
I have five more in mine. I didn't have time to pull them before work. Hopefully, they are fine in there today.
We need yellow bucket pics!
Joey Mcintyre Comedy GIF by Pop TV

They would be my dream broodies. I've tossed the idea around for a couple years but just never wanted to deal with any males.
Just not set up for the separation needs they'd take.
Bantam Cochins?

2 stories for the price of 1:

1) So these chicks do a new thing I've never noticed before when they're in the dark alone. They flare their wings out like a broody mama, and then lay on the ground as flat as possible so they look like they're bowing. They lay still until they think they're safe, and then shuffle forwards a few steps and stop again, never rising. The funniest thing I've ever seen, I might try to get a picture tomorrow night if it happens. The Cornish bantams and one mosaic/mosaic mix were pretty good at this. The others... not so much. But I have never seen this before in any birds I've had.

2) My mystery pullet (thinking a game bantam) is absolutely nuts at bedtime. It's dark, so obviously it's somewhat scary, I understand that. Most of the birds lay there and accept their fate when I grab them. Some cry and flap and kick before accepting fate.

She, however, screams. Screams loud enough I'm sure she's got a 3rd lung or something helping make this volume that probably woke the neighborhood up. She's flying around the pen like a freaking finch would, making the rest inside the house panic and flee back into the run. And then a 2nd time before I shut them in so it doesn't happen a 3rd time.

She gets out and is running through the chicken trailer park, in pitch darkness, before I finally grab her enough to tuck her into my stomach and muffle the screams still coming from this teeny little thing as we get back into the coop.

I guarantee that the coyotes will be nearby tonight, and I'm praying no one snuck out and got left behind. I didn't see anyone, but my eyesight isn't as good as a predator in the dark.
video games blacklist GIF

Back
Top Bottom