The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

I think I have about 2 or 3 days to get some pens set up to have time to collect eggs to set for the Easter HAL.
I'm seriously debating getting some eggs from Metzer. They have a bunch of breeds now avaliable that I like for ducklings but I'm not sure I can justify 28 bucks for a female duckling....

Their Rouen eggs are a little over 8 bucks a piece, I'd have to buy at least 6, and then roughly 3 would hatch, and I'm not sure I want to risk that many boys.

I really want to hatch some eggs this year though

As soon as these hatch, I’m starting a large batch in the old 4250. After that, I’ll hold off until HAL time and load the NR360. I sure hope the people that’s been contacting me still want chicks. My RIR girls have slowed way down. Not good for hatching season. Ima finish off what’s empty with RIR/CQ eggs. I’ll keep the pullets for egg layers if no one wants them.

I think we have a adopted chick.

Well, i say adopted, but she would have the same dad, just another mom. I thought they were all Dixies because i tried collecting all her eggs, but it’s possible one was Jolenes. I have mixed emotions about this. I’m happy because i like Jolene but it’s a little disappointing because Jolene has long legs and a floppy comb and Peep has long legs (something you do not want in Japanese bantams) Dixie has short legs so was hoping for some short legged babies.

Peep is a little cheater. Already cheating on his broody lady with her sister

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom