The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I can't say for sure but I do believe it hurts while it happens but not much or at all by the next day and surely not when theyre weeks old to grown.
When it punches their reaction leads me to believe it comes with some pain or at least discomfort. Worse then piercing and I know because I've had lip, nose, brows etc pierced in my youth.
Sometimes the hole does completely come out and when a few days to a week I can pull it loose or sometimes they scab over and I pull that off to make sure its not growing shut. They don't seem to notice any of that at all.
Sometimes ive got too far in or too close or on edge of toe and that does make them jump and will bleed so I know that has to hurt.
Thats the part I don't like and my eyesight isn't the best so sometimes its my bad and I feel bad but it's my best over all option because of the amount I hatch and all the varieties I need to keep track of.
Ive heard of wing bands and know nothing about them but look into that at some point.

Leg b
I can't say for sure but I do believe it hurts while it happens but not much or at all by the next day and surely not when theyre weeks old to grown.
When it punches their reaction leads me to believe it comes with some pain or at least discomfort. Worse then piercing and I know because I've had lip, nose, brows etc pierced in my youth.
Sometimes the hole does completely come out and when a few days to a week I can pull it loose or sometimes they scab over and I pull that off to make sure its not growing shut. They don't seem to notice any of that at all.
Sometimes ive got too far in or too close or on edge of toe and that does make them jump and will bleed so I know that has to hurt.
Thats the part I don't like and my eyesight isn't the best so sometimes its my bad and I feel bad but it's my best over all option because of the amount I hatch and all the varieties I need to keep track of.
Ive heard of wing bands and know nothing about them but look into that at some point.
bands are nice, but are sometimes just as hard to see.

I might start doing the toe punch for my breeds I work on, but no one here does them so they had no clue just how much it seems to hurt. But if they don't seem to baby the foot after a day or two, that sounds great

Oh no they don't baby it or have any troubla as soon as it's done.
If I make one bleed sometimes another will peck at the blood so I wash it and put a touch of flour on it and it stops quick enough.
Honestly if you can see good, hold them still and spread their toes you'd never have an issue.

I don't really have a bunch of fancy set ups or anything. Most are pretty simple straight forward.
Some are getting older and need replaced or rehabbed. Ive been dreaming about building a structure with 6' x 16' pens running down both sides. Have an isle running down the middle and places for them to get inside down both sides.
I could just walk through collecting eggs etc. And be able to keep adding on and extending it when more pens are needed and can be afforded.
IDK its a nice dream.
Anyways here's a couple stacked brooder pens I refaced this season. You can see nothing elegant but functional.
20200701_190953(1)~2.jpg
20200701_190936(1)~2.jpg
20200701_190946(1)~2.jpg

I don't really have a bunch of fancy set ups or anything. Most are pretty simple straight forward.
Some are getting older and need replaced or rehabbed. Ive been dreaming about building a structure with 6' x 16' pens running down both sides. Have an isle running down the middle and places for them to get inside down both sides.
I could just walk through collecting eggs etc. And be able to keep adding on and extending it when more pens are needed and can be afforded.
IDK its a nice dream.
Anyways here's a couple stacked brooder pens I refaced this season. You can see nothing elegant but functional.
View attachment 2234710View attachment 2234712View attachment 2234715

Sounds like you need a race horse barn XD. Our fairgrounds had a bunch of glorious old race horse barn and they're perfect for chicken breeding

I think ours were about 8x12 but the doors were much narrower at like 4 feet wide. We kept the 4H horses in the less falling apart ones at fair so they didn't have to leave and come back every day

IDK its a nice dream.
View attachment 2234710View attachment 2234712View attachment 2234715
Nice!

Back
Top Bottom