The most dangerous cake recipe....

Athena, we gave it a go.

We substituted sugar with Splenda. We also didn't add the chocolate chips (and probably should have). Any idea if the cake is supposed to turn out sort of gummy/chewy as opposed to more bread/cake like? Maybe we're doing something wrong.

We made our own variation which tasted better than the first one we tried (though most likely not the fault of the recipe! I'm a terrible cook.
tongue2.gif
).

Here's what we did:

- 4 heaping tablespoons flour
- 5 heaping tablespoons Splenda
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
- 1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the vanilla extract, honey and cinnamon, and mix again. Microwaved on high for 3 minutes.

This one also turned out a bit chewy... but I tell you what... drizzle some honey or some sweet topping over that (such as fresh strawberries you slice up in a bowl and sprinkle sugar over, leave sit over night in the fridge covered with saran wrap, and by the next day, the strawberries have made an awesome juice) and man oh man... that's a pretty tasty (and easy) desert to make. There was not an overpowering taste of any of the three "flavors", they all just sort of blended together nicely. Surprised me actually... considering my track record!
lol.png
(Just ask my mother about the time I tried to make my first chocolate cake... I really dislike mayonnaise and when the recipe said to use it, I thought it was a typo. I substituted two cups of molasses... yeah, that cake was "chewy" too.
sickbyc.gif
)

My kids made this last night. Ours came out gummy too. It was okay, they weren't big fans of it... Maybe I made it wrong, it didn't taste all that awesome to me. LOL

3036872296_4d25f93646.jpg

Alright, I made this to go with my coffee this morning.
smile.png
Seemed like a reasonable excuse anyway. There were a couple of issues....first, I HIGHLY recommend adding a pinch of salt. I could taste very distinctly that "NO SALT" flavor...would have made it a thousand times better. The chocolate chips all went to the bottom of mine like someone else mentioned so I will leave those out next time. Mine was a bit rubbery but I think that is because of one of two things....I didn't have oil so I used melted butter and I used a very tall and skinny mug...perhaps it needed a slightly shorter cook time. Otherwise it was pretty good. Ugly....VERY ugly, but that seemed to add to the "cool" factor.
smile.png
Will definitely try again with the little changes. I recommend anyone try it who is needing a quick sweet fix.
smile.png
Here are a couple of pics...pardon the low quality cell pics, it was all I had in the kitchen at the time.
smile.png

111820082050[1].jpg

111820082052[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom