The neighbors dog

I am soooo Sorry! That's awful! Just a few thoughts, don't know if it'll help...,
1. Depending on your situation and zoning rules, you may be able to borrow a free live trap from your humane society. I know ours will lend them out and come collect whatever happens into them, if you tell them something has been causing damage to your property or is a potential threat. If you are legally allowed to keep chickens, this may be an option. If not, I wouldn't say anything in case they take your chickens!
2. If you care about your relationship with your inconsiderate neighbors, you may want to warn them. They may correct it themselves if they fear a fine. You don't have to even say it's their dog you're worried about. You could say you've heard cats, dogs, skunks, whatever is in your area have been a problem for someone else, so you're being preventative. Although they, of course, are keeping their dog out of your yard you don't see a problem but felt it was the neighborly thing to do, just in case. You wouldn't want them fined, of course!
3. Depending on the dog...many hunting dogs are trained to "mouth" birds. While they may scare a bird to death, they won't puncture it. Unfortunately, they may see your birds as practice and believe they're being "good dogs." If so, they may actually be harder to stop than a dog just out for a nugget snack. If it's trained to "mouth," it should also be trained to "heel." It might be worth a try if you see it again, to shout "Heel!" and see if it does. It might keep you or your daughter from getting bit. Then, I'd alert animal control.
Sorry you have to deal with any of this!

With the economy (oh hell blame it on the economy) as it is many folks with too many dogs just stop feeding them and as bag load them up and drop them off. the only solution i have found that is effective with dogs is a bullet and I dont hesitate with one exception if the dog is not a stray and the owner is taking responsibility for the dog Im more than happy to work with him. I have one neighbor who brings home every stray he sees along side the road and turn them loose and even fails to feed them I shoot them when they come on the property as his dogs have killed my birds over and over. He seems to be getting the message as I told him point blank what I will do. Fewer strays for a while. I have another neighbor who keeps his bird dogs kenneled and only once did they get away from him and the dog killed my precious Coochin. He and his wife came to my home with the dead bird and more apologizes than every necessary with offerings from hunting privildges on his 200 acre ranch and a White metal detector and any dollar amount I needed to satisfy this terrible incident. My God how can people be so far apart on this. I hunt my own property and have since returned his metal detector and needed nothing more than having great people as a neighbor. We had only spoken on a couple of occasions over 15 years as neighbots and we have a great relationship. the other guy well some things and people are beyond reasoning.
I dont kill indiscriminately but will live trap possum and other small critters and relocate them about 20 miles away and it seem to solve MY problem. I shot a Bobcat in the process of killing one of my girls and he succeeded and the taxidermist will have it finished before Christmas.

BANG, problem solved.

Had something similar this summer with a young gyp that looked to be an american bull type. She showed up in the neighbor's yard and I went on alert. When it wandered into mine it got my undivided attention. It obviously belonged somewhere as it appeared well fed and in fine shape and showed zero people aggression or shyness. It was when the pup waltzed into my house like it lived there that I moved to lay hands on it. By that time my own boss dog, Peanut an 11 lb toy fox terrier, decided to evict the squatter and it got pretty dicey. Fortunately in my line of work catch poles are always to hand and I lassoed that mutt and drug it out to my "office" where I administered "the treatment". She went out with the garbage.

A day or two later I saw the lost dog posters. Tough luck.

Actually depends on state laws. Here in Ohio we are lucky enough to have law stating that any dog chasing, harassing, or harming livestock is a target. Owner can do nothing in court to retaliate. Owner is automatically responsible for all damages. So here, I'd report and dirt nap the attacker. Problem is eliminated and authorities can go after the owner for failure to control, etc.

Well, yeah, if you plan on SSSing the dog, then don't report it.

Actually depends on state laws. Here in Ohio we are lucky enough to have law stating that any dog chasing, harassing, or harming livestock is a target. Owner can do nothing in court to retaliate. Owner is automatically responsible for all damages. So here, I'd report and dirt nap the attacker. Problem is eliminated and authorities can go after the owner for failure to control, etc.
Quote: That would be SST ;-) or SSR.

Last edited:
The man was warned once and it seemed like he didn't even bat an eyelash so next time, get the police involved in the dog comes back or even call Animal Control.

I'm so sorry to hear that your chickens were attacked! :( I'm glad they're okay!

I would NOT report anything to the authorities. If the dog happens to be "relocated" then nobody is looking to you for answers on dogs whereabouts.
If you don't report it to the authorities, you're comitting a felony in most states.

SSS doesn't help anyone - the owner of the dog just gets another one and does the same thing. The dog dies for no good reason. Call animal control, have them come take the dog - the owner will have to pay a fine, he'll have to pay to fix your coop and replace the birds, and he'll be less likely to let the dog roam - as it's hitting him in the wallet. The next time one of his dogs gets picked up, the fine will be bigger, and he may be charged with a felony (in many states letting a known dangerous dog out is a felony).

SSS only really works if the dog is a stray - otherwise the owner usually knows exactly where the dog went. It's better to have this stuff in the open than have a feud started.

BANG, problem solved.

Had something similar this summer with a young gyp that looked to be an american bull type. She showed up in the neighbor's yard and I went on alert. When it wandered into mine it got my undivided attention. It obviously belonged somewhere as it appeared well fed and in fine shape and showed zero people aggression or shyness. It was when the pup waltzed into my house like it lived there that I moved to lay hands on it. By that time my own boss dog, Peanut an 11 lb toy fox terrier, decided to evict the squatter and it got pretty dicey. Fortunately in my line of work catch poles are always to hand and I lassoed that mutt and drug it out to my "office" where I administered "the treatment". She went out with the garbage.

So you left your door open, let a dog in your house, caught it with a catch pole so it was no threat to anyone, and then killed it. There are about 10 points in this story where you could have controlled the situation - but neglected to.

And you say you don't like killing dogs?

Last edited:
BANG, problem solved.

You just stated that the dog wasn't aggressive. Obviously she just wanted somewhere to go and hang out to feel safe and you just up and killed it? That was someone's pet.

I'm sorry but that is completely unfair and cruel to the dog and their owners.

Last edited:
If you don't report it to the authorities, you're comitting a felony in most states.

SSS doesn't help anyone - the owner of the dog just gets another one and does the same thing. The dog dies for no good reason. Call animal control, have them come take the dog - the owner will have to pay a fine, he'll have to pay to fix your coop and replace the birds, and he'll be less likely to let the dog roam - as it's hitting him in the wallet. The next time one of his dogs gets picked up, the fine will be bigger, and he may be charged with a felony (in many states letting a known dangerous dog out is a felony).

SSS only really works if the dog is a stray - otherwise the owner usually knows exactly where the dog went. It's better to have this stuff in the open than have a feud started.
Calling animal control may work if you live in an area that has animal control. Where l live, the landowner is animal control. If I were to call the sheriff about a dog on my property killing my chickens or being aggressive toward people, he'd tell me to shoot it. And any dog that is on my property when it's not supposed to be is a stray...

Back
Top Bottom