The new chicken coop and pig pen! {UPDATED} [PICS]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fhdogs, May 1, 2009.

1. fhdogs

fhdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Here it is in all it's glory...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so there's nothing more than a trailer full of wood, but it's more progress than I've made over the last month. Unfortunately (maybe not) I'll be at animal rescue training this weekend, but hopefully when I get home the coop will at least be framed out. My buddy who's helping with the carpentry work, promises me that everything will be done by next weekend.

Here's a shot of where the construction will happen...
    [​IMG]
    Nestled in right in front of that apple tree.

Keep up with all of the construction photos in this gallery.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    lol I can see it now. Rotting apples, bees every where. Your chickens are going to hate you XD which ones that arent knocked out by falling apples atlease.

3. fhdogs

Mar 31, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Quote:Unfortunately the tree doesn't produce very much worth getting excited about. I tried pruning it back last year, but I don't know how successful it'll be. I've got about 25 trees leftover on the property from when it was a large apple orchard many many years ago.

Between the chickens and pig I'm sure they'll have plenty of treats.

Hopefully they will all be safe from falling apples since the roof slopes back toward the tree and away from the run. I may may end up replacing the metal roof a little more often than I'd like though. [​IMG]

4. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    My only worry is with the bees. Ive had chickens eat bees before and be alright. But there was this one I had who ate a bee, it stung him in his throat and it swelled up and he died.

5. fhdogs

Mar 31, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    I'm back from Noah's Wish (Animal Rescue) Training, and finally got the new coop started. Here's some of the progress. As usual the rest of the photos can be found here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Wait... Why is it at a huge angle? Or are my eyes seriously messed up.

Nice lumber, BTW.

7. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah why is it at such an angle? Are you doing it for a reason or just trying to do something unique?

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  8. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    What's unique is that lumber.. The more I look at it, the more I drool.. What is that, true 4x6 rough sawn?

9. btrent94

btrent94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Glendale, AZ
    wats up with the sloop ?? .. your chickens are gonna fall outta their boxes at night [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    looks like a good start, good luck with the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by