The Oh-so neighbor!

my husbands uncle comes here very morning and hes the complaining type about everything. we have neighbors with dogs he whines about those. neighbors with outdoor wood furnaces yup daily complaints about the smell of smoke. warns me everyday about the perils of roosters. we only have one. wait till we have turkeys and our meat chickens next year:lol: I may even get me some nice mean tempered geese:gig

Quote:
My MIL used to be like that. When she started complaining to me about this and that I would ask her to tell me about something good that had happened or something she liked. It took a while, but the complaining decreased a lot.

It's a bantam rooster and there's lots of land between your houses? Sounds rather nit-picky to me. I have several roosters, standard and bantam. When the neighbors quit using that darn tractor to cut their huge front lawn every Friday (so loud we have to shout to hear each other up here on the hill), when they quit having drinking parties, shooting guns at 11 p.m. (what can they even see at that hour??), racing ATVs, jeeps, motorcycles and trucks up and down the road on holidays or when the son of the owner gets a wild hair and has his buddies over, then I'll think about trying to shut my roosters up. Till then, they have nothing to complain about. This is the country, for crying out loud. I expect some animal and machinery noise and so should they. I have no idea why rooster noise is in some special category all by itself.

Quote:
Lol.....We do have a neighbor who lives 1/4 mile down the road and finds comfort in playing the drums and having his friends over to practice a couple times a week. Yeah I can hear them occasionally, it doesn't disturb my sleep or wake me up in the morning. So be it. My rooster crows like all roosters do but it is not as much as my oh-so neighbor makes it seem or thinks. Yes the rooster starts to crow around 5:30 - 6:00-sh. It's not a constant crow. The crowing is not waking him up because he himself is an early riser and always has been even way before I decided to get chickens. On a regular basis in the early hours of dawn, before I even go out to the coop, he is out in his pole barn working and tinkering......something he has always done. He is retired (at a very young age) and his DW works part-time. She pulls out of the driveway between 7 - 7:15am. So for as the roo waking them in the morning...... I don't think that's the problem. I think they are just plain nit-pickers and always will be. I will continue to be polite, wave hello, say HI and continue to allow them to bring their grandchild over to look at the chickens. Yes, I have found them several times to my suprise checking out the chickens. NO BIGGIE, kids love animals and I love kids. And yes I'm gonna offer them some eggs!! Won't get me anywhere but I'll be kind as always. Like the saying goes....Kill them with kindness!!

Well I do appreciate the extra info. It brings the situation into much better light. Yep, he's a nit picker.

As for my son he would have more friends over to jam but nobody around here is at his level. Yep that's a brag but it's an honest one.

Quote:
I think if the Op has legal permisstion to raise chickens then let the rooster crow. I've never gone a day of my life without a rooster crow and never plan to. If my neighbors want a quite serene place in the country they can move. I'm going to do what the law allows me to do nit picky neighbors or no. Just my two cents worth
frow.gif

Yes chickengal, I agree. It is allowed and they, the neighbors should know that it is allowed in that area. I am not saying I would be a but and revel in the fact that it might agitate them or try to agitate them with the rooster. BUT this is my thing the OP and many others have already mentioned that they LIKE the sounds of their roosters (I totally agree) SO here is the question. Should the OP move the rooster away or try to hush the rooster by changing times on him or what have you so that the neighbors are happier which supresses her/his happiness or should she allow it and enjoy whatever she/he finds enjoyable? Why should she have to stop something that is on her own land, doing her own thing, enjoying her hobbies because a neighbor who should have no decision in the matter demands so?

I understand about loud people and music but the thing is most roosters I know are not going to be crowing for hours on end. At least mine never have. Where partying is going to be. Would I go over there and tell people they needed to stop partying? No, I would not because I believe it is not my business and as long as it is staying on their land and they are leaving me to my business then I will move along whether I am annoyed by it or not. I don't want people to tell me what I can do in my own space so I am not going to tell someone else what they can do in theirs. An example would be there was a family that lived by us, which we have land between the two houses, but the little girl would stand outside and yell for her mother over and over and over:he... I think ya'll get the point, and did I march over there and say hey your child is really too loud if I can hear her all the way over here? Nope.

My suggestion to anyone and everyone the more land (space) you have the better.

I'm not sure what the specifics are of their local laws. But that hardly matters now that the op has given more information on the topic. However I will say that if there are no restrictions on roos or noise then have your roos. I know that before I moved to the rural area I did ask the realtor what the basics were on livestock so I was prepared. My whole gist is that neighbors being respectful of one another makes for happy neighborhoods. What's funny is that leaving the city for the rural or the country for many is about getting away from the violence of the city. I'd take mooing and neighing over gunshots and booming cars anyday. Yet a crowing roo next to me at 5am would drive me bonkers so I don't live where that is allowed. I also agree that the more land the better.

Last edited:
When we first moved to the "country" I loved the springtime when the tractors were on the road. Had a co-worker drive out to the house and when he got to the house he started complaining about being behind a tractor for five minutes. He was really mad; I on the other hand confirmed what a "jerk" I always thought he was. I love living in the county/country.

Back
Top Bottom