The Old Folks Home

Why would you do that to roosters?

Do what? Sorry, not sure what you are referring to.:confused:

My young cockerels started fighting with one another and pestering the hens over December when our temps were in the 50s and 60s. Hormones were going 'hey, it's spring! Let's make babies! when in reality it is still winter.

I have a nice roomy coop for them that is just waiting to be finished being cleaned up and with fresh bedding for them along with a roomy run. They are going to carry on being roosters, meaning, squabbling with one another and breaking off their tail feathers until they get their pecking order worked out, but at least in their own rooster coop they won't be pestering the hens and pullets.

In the winter, they cuddle up together at night and keep one another warm which is a plus for having them around and secondly, these guys are super cute and I don't want to butcher them.

Also, now that the temps have gone back to normal here, meaning single digit lows and sub freezing highs for at least another month before it starts to swing around here, I'm hoping the testosterone will settle back down long enough for me to get their future coop cleaned out, aired out and the gate on their run fixed and put up again.

I am a big fan of roosters, which is why the majority of them have names and the hens don't, LOL!

I hear ya @CapricornFarm.

I've got two wagons that we use to move bags of feed and dog food with. One is a small green molded plastic with a 'tilt to dump' feature and the other is a big heavy duty job that we got at Tractor Supply. It also doubles as a wood hauler for our stove.

I like the bigger one. All we have to do is pull the bags out of the van bed and onto the bed of the wagon. To unload we can drop on of the sides and slide out the bags.

DH showed me an easier way to dump the bags of feed into their respective garbage cans or totes. You lay the can on it's side, put the bag in the can with the 'zip' opener in the can and then open the bag. without lifting the bag, reach down and set the can upright. It is a bit of a heft but now you are dealing with an open bag, closed end sticking up out of the can and all you have to do is grab the 'closed end' and pull it out of the can. You are left with an empty bag at that point and a half filled can.

This only works with one bag at a time but man, it's a back saver!

My husband is such a great guy! He knows how much my joints hurt me at times and is always figuring out easier ways for me to do things and keep my independence.

DH asked me when I was going to get back to studying Morse Code now that I had finished Element 4......

Once again, if I repeated what I said, I'd get banned...

Hopefully you ditted/dashed those few choice words his way. ;)
Congratulations on passing!

Yeah, my complaints for feedbags is it's like going to Costco. You pay less per unit, but get too much more to deal with. Case in point is oystershell. A little 5-lb bag with zip-closeable top at our feed store is $5++ and a 50-lb bag is $9. Same company, just more for the luxury of grabbing-and-going-convenient packaging. Sadly, feed manufacturers -- I believe -- envision that only strapping 30-40 y.o.'s have critters, so no problem slinging those 50-lb bags about. Sigh...

Goats in the house... Been there and loved it! Back when I ran a midwifery for pygmy goats, a client's doe delivered triplets: Two hulking 5+ lb bucklings and a 1.5 lb white doeling that was rejected by her mother. (She was REALLY tiny!) We set up a heating pad incubator for her in the house and she was tube-fed for a day or so, and then she was our Schipperke's prized possession/pet. Kept the kid in a playpen in the living room. So fun to take her out and have her go springing throughout the house. We had to keep an eye on her because if she curled up to nap, it was hard to find her on the white tiles. Eventually she rejoined the herd and grew to a normal size.

Hopefully you ditted/dashed those few choice words his way. ;)
Congratulations on passing!

Yeah, my complaints for feedbags is it's like going to Costco. You pay less per unit, but get too much more to deal with. Case in point is oystershell. A little 5-lb bag with zip-closeable top at our feed store is $5++ and a 50-lb bag is $9. Same company, just more for the luxury of grabbing-and-going-convenient packaging. Sadly, feed manufacturers -- I believe -- envision that only strapping 30-40 y.o.'s have critters, so no problem slinging those 50-lb bags about. Sigh...

Goats in the house... Been there and loved it! Back when I ran a midwifery for pygmy goats, a client's doe delivered triplets: Two hulking 5+ lb bucklings and a 1.5 lb white doeling that was rejected by her mother. (She was REALLY tiny!) We set up a heating pad incubator for her in the house and she was tube-fed for a day or so, and then she was our Schipperke's prized possession/pet. Kept the kid in a playpen in the living room. So fun to take her out and have her go springing throughout the house. We had to keep an eye on her because if she curled up to nap, it was hard to find her on the white tiles. Eventually she rejoined the herd and grew to a normal size.
I can see hefting those big bags getting harder as we age.

After back surgery 10 years ago, I cannot carry two fifty pound bags on my shoulders anymore. Luckily I am maintaining my muscle mass so far but I do some weight training 2 or three days a week. It seems to help

Back
Top Bottom