The Old Folks Home

:goodpost: View attachment 1162157

Very good information! Another reason to hold off in anti biotics every time a chicken is sick

Do you give them big ole bird?
Thank you Ron.

Yep :smacklesson forgotten, lesson relearned.

I haven't tried that (yet). Not a product readily available up here. I do like to add Rooster Booster in their water after any illness/treatment. Great mix of probiotic, vitamins and electrolytes.

Last edited:
I am so jealous of you guys knowing your family history. All I know of mine is that Irish grandfather came over with his father as a boy running from the starvation of the potato famine to work as a lumber jack in the northwoods of Wisconsin where he met and married my grandmother who had come north with her parents and seven sisters from Kentucky to work as cooks and such in the logging camps. Other set of grandparents immigrated from Germany to get away from the Kaiser.

I am so jealous of you guys knowing your family history. All I know of mine is that Irish grandfather came over with his father as a boy running from the starvation of the potato famine to work as a lumber jack in the northwoods of Wisconsin where he met and married my grandmother who had come north with her parents and seven sisters from Kentucky to work as cooks and such in the logging camps. Other set of grandparents immigrated from Germany to get away from the Kaiser.
I actually really enjoy knowing that stuff. ... WHY they came to the states. Brings history to life

My Mom's side of the Family is similar. Most Irish came here then. I can find my Irish Ancestor on Ancestry.com. I did not find him in Ireland though.

Turns out that my Ancestors are more from Ireland and the British Isles than previously though. My Mom thought Pingres were German when they are British. There were also a lot of Irish Brides LOL.

We have a set of those. They do work although we have one dog who is immune to their effects. We got a set of 4 collars trying to teach our Muttley Crew to stay in the yard and not chase Amish buggies. It worked for three of them but the forth, our 13 year old Border Collie would ignore any 'cue' you gave her. We tried turning up the power and she would still ignore it. Finally we turned it up to maximum. She would jump in the air and keep on with whatever she was chasing after. She had been badly abused before I found her as a stray and adopted her. I figure that she was thinking, well, that's nothing compared with when I was a pup and beaten' We took the collar off of her and never used it again.

As for using a hot wire, One of our dogs will test it with his whiskers to see if it is hot or not. The same dog will take a running start and blow right through it if he is so motivated. He does respond to the training collar though as do the other two dogs. I've found that the best determent in general has been a hot wire. Our Cattle Dog has stuck his nose on it a couple of times. The most effective experience was the day he lifted a leg and peed against it. He never went near that fence after that and it was ages before we could get him to go in the front yard.

have learned that the Elftman side great grandad jumped ship was not here through Ellis

Lots of problems trying to gather/research records in Europe and Britain due to all the damage/destruction from the world wars. Lots of documentation was destroyed/lost. In addition, I guess in many cemeteries over in Europe, you rent your grave space and when the rent stops getting paid, they dig you up and re-lease the plot. Other places I guess have a 50 year limit or some such. And still other places, they bury multiple people in the same grave space over years, so you really never know exactly who might be inside. Then of course there are the name changes to deal with... Quite a challenge... :confused::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom