The Old Folks Home

Unfortunately what I've experienced with my flock is that once they show the symptoms of being ill, it's a loosing battle. Their immune systems are so skewered by the Marek's that there is little I can do except cull them to keep them from suffering.

I did a head count this morning. I'm down to 20 standards at this time. I have a few crosses/bantam/standard but they are in their own category. 4 have ocular Marek's but are holding their own. Weight is good, eating well and acting normal in spite of having really weird eyes. I had 38 the first part of the year, rehomed 4 roosters before I knew I had Marek's in the flock but they have since died from a fox attack. So my best estimates is that I've lost 14-15 standards from Mareks and 4 bantams from it also.

SO I have 13 standard hens that are showing resistance, although the one that I lost yesterday was resistant until she got whatever she got that killed her. That is the pattern that I am seeing in the birds (standards) that have survived the primary infection. 3 roosters are currently showing resistance also. Problem is I need them to survive longer than 3 years and unfortunately BO's are listed as being particularly susceptible to Marek's. I cannot see the logic in breeding future chicks from them with that thought in mind.

Earlier this summer I had a perfectly healthy looking Welsummer hen come up to me, sit down at my feet, all fluffed up and immediately pull her head in and go to sleep. I picked here up and like the hen I put down, skin and bones. I culled her immediately.

From the description of the symptoms, I'd say they are succumbing to fungal infections. They get good food that is kept inside and dry but they do get out in the wet so who knows where they pick it up.

My plan is still to introduce vaccinated Fayoumis into the flock. At least 6 or more hens. No cockerels and let my resistant Bantam roosters cross with them. I'd go with a few cockerels but in all honesty, my bantam boys will just beat them senseless so may as well not go there.

@chickisoup, what are you treating your birds with for fungal infections?
My survivor birds followed pretty much 100% what you are describing. I thought I was in the clear with my last 3 but the two that had actually been sick earlier picked up the mycoses (fungal infections, never identified exactly which one) most likely because we had an unusually wet, cold spring that seemed to go on forever. In my ignorance I actually made things worse by giving them antibiotics thinking their what ever it was was bacterial. I now know giving that to treat a fungal infection actually makes things worse. Copper sulfate is normally used to treat a fungal infection but you have to watch your dosage, too much is toxic. According to Gail Damerow (referred to as the patron saint of chicken health, honest) she states to avoid overdosing start by mixing a 1/2 lb of copper sulfate plus 1/2 cup vinegar into a 1/2 gallon of water and label it clearly as your stock solution To each gallon of chicken water add 1 tablespoon of the stock solution. She recommends first flushing the birds' system with a laxative flush of either molasses or epsom salts then feed as usual while giving them the treated water until things look under control. You can find the whole detailed treatment and follow up treatment listed in her latest CHicken Health Handbook which came out just this past August on page 255 in the box on sour crop treatment (sour crop is a fungal infection for those that aren't already aware). PM me if you want the whole follow up treatment.
Although I have my two 18 month olds and my new chicks, I am down to my last Marek's survivor, a now 3+ yr old vaccinated BA that is fat and sassy and definitely my top hen.

<---son of the revolution and son of the mayflower by virtue of several mayflower passengers... Myles Standish among them. Also have documented lineage to several royal lines. My dad was huge into tracing our heritage including trips to England, Ireland, Germany, Canada, etc. I never really cared one way or the other. It's not all that important to me in the grand scheme of things. Now that he's gone I kinda wish I'd paid a bit more attention. :confused:

My survivor birds followed pretty much 100% what you are describing. I thought I was in the clear with my last 3 but the two that had actually been sick earlier picked up the mycoses (fungal infections, never identified exactly which one) most likely because we had an unusually wet, cold spring that seemed to go on forever. In my ignorance I actually made things worse by giving them antibiotics thinking their what ever it was was bacterial. I now know giving that to treat a fungal infection actually makes things worse. Copper sulfate is normally used to treat a fungal infection but you have to watch your dosage, too much is toxic. According to Gail Damerow (referred to as the patron saint of chicken health, honest) she states to avoid overdosing start by mixing a 1/2 lb of copper sulfate plus 1/2 cup vinegar into a 1/2 gallon of water and label it clearly as your stock solution To each gallon of chicken water add 1 tablespoon of the stock solution. She recommends first flushing the birds' system with a laxative flush of either molasses or epsom salts then feed as usual while giving them the treated water until things look under control. You can find the whole detailed treatment and follow up treatment listed in her latest CHicken Health Handbook which came out just this past August on page 255 in the box on sour crop treatment (sour crop is a fungal infection for those that aren't already aware). PM me if you want the whole follow up treatment.
Although I have my two 18 month olds and my new chicks, I am down to my last Marek's survivor, a now 3+ yr old vaccinated BA that is fat and sassy and definitely my top hen.
:goodpost: Thanks.gif

Very good information! Another reason to hold off in anti biotics every time a chicken is sick

Do you give them big ole bird?

I have made 4 books on our genealogy and gave them to different family members and two went to two of my kids. I also gave them my info for my online family trees.
I told them they had to keep it up to date after I am gone.
I had so many records that I had to divide them up. lol
I only kept the head stone pics and rubbings. Because I have the data in my family tree program on my computer and back ups. I do love the search in genealogy.
I am still filling in a couple blanks. lol

Back
Top Bottom