The Old Folks Home

Most my garden did good this yr, but no watermelon, no pumpkins (usually have great pumpkins) tried pepitas hybrid pumpkins this yr, zero germination. Was looking forward to them cause they have naked (hulless) seeds. Jung guarantees their seeds so I'll get a credit next order. Pretty funny they had mentioned that they were not getting good germination with the mammoth red mangels 70%. Pretty sure I got pretty close to 100%
They're getting pretty fat now that the weather is getting cooler. 28* this morn.
My DW grew some watermellons at a place in the Capay Valley this year. When she was ready to get one, the people that had the garden had eaten them!

I hope they enjoyed them....:mad:

Thanks for the lesson!
Is acid rain as bad as it used to be?
Not a 100% sure myself but I think it is a lot better now here. Ours came from coal power plants way down south, they burn a lot cleaner now and are less of them anyway. Killed all the many lakes in the Adirondacks, dead lakes. They've brought them back to life by liming them with helicopters spreading tons of it in the winter on the ice, so it distributes and dissolves better. They've brought back a couple hundred lakes.
In the 80s they tried one 50 acre lake with baking soda instead of lime, Arm & Hammer donated 14 tons for the project. The lake was 100x more acidic than normal, like a giant Alka-Seltzer. Now it's a good destination for walleye, northern pike, +.

My DW grew some watermellons at a place in the Capay Valley this year. When she was ready to get one, the people that had the garden had eaten them!

I hope they enjoyed them....:mad:
I hoped my chickens pooped fire the yr they ate every single medusa pepper off our back step. Last Friday DD#2 took my jersey giant roo and a hen to a FFA fair at school. I made it very clear there would be hell to pay if they did not get put back in the coop when she got home. I have a nice bush of purple cayenne's right now by back step and am not taking any chances. Have never had any humans raid my produce though lol.

I have had some success with watermelons a few times. Actually had a few nice sweet potatoes this yr.
Going to try Blacktail Mountain watermelon next yr, the guy from SandHill developed it himself, says it's continuously the earliest watermelon in the over 100 varieties they grow. Baker Creek heirloom seeds also sells them, they say 'superb for the north but also grows well in heat and drought' , so sounds like a good early one for anywhere.

My sweet potatoes this yr. Just from a potato from the grocery store I started slips from two yrs ago and most likely a southern variety. Last yr they were pretty scrawny. Now that I see I can grow them I think I'll try the northern assortment from SandHill, probably do a lot better than these. Oh, and they are heirloom beefsteak tomatoes, best yr ever on them, tons of them this yr, usually they barely start ripening when frost hits hard here.
20171008_184915.jpg

Remember 'April' the giraffe that was a YouTube sensation this spring/summer with her never ending labor? Lol.
They had a trick or treat Halloween thing last Saturday so we went beings I have to work on Halloween night :hit
Got a couple pics of the fam and baby, guess those things grow fast! No way were we going there after it was born, the place was a mad house of people from all over and not a very big place either.
Screenshot_20171017-104047.png
Screenshot_20171017-104126.png

Well that is really ignorant! No sense of right and wrong any more.

I know!
Since the chickens have cleaned the back yard down to dirt and provide some nice soil amendments, we plan on planting a garden here next year

Back
Top Bottom